Christmas pressy ideas please

• 5 Replies

wissy423

Christmas pressy ideas please
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:39 »
My parents are in their mid to late 70's and are still reasonably active - they have their own allotment. I live in Australia and I am looking for advice on appropriate gift idea for them. As their health declines, is there a particular 'must have' piece of equipment or gadget available to purchase for the mature gardener.

Regards
Christine.

Gwiz

Re: Christmas pressy ideas please
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:20 »
There's heaps of gardening "aids" that can be used by the, shall we say, "more mature" gardener.
I wouldn't know where to start talking about them.
I reckon the best bet would be a chat with Ma and Pa, to see what they find difficult, and go from there. ;)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:11 »
I think the best gift for aging gardeners would be raised beds so they can still enjoy it without too many creaky joints.
Posting one to OZ may be expensive though. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 01:19 »
I've never used one but I've heard people say that those spring-loaded digging spades take the back-bending out of digging.  ;)

They do look rather heavy though.... An alternative might be a long-handled "Yanky" spade - the sort with the pointed tip to the blade and a light weight handle.

Personally I find a swoe makes weeding between and around plants so much easier. It saves all that bending down and is speedier than weeding by hand. Once you get the hang of using one accurately they really are great.

[My father was 87 before he handed over the plot to me - he now grows & sows in his greenhouse at home with a veg plot along the front drive. Up until then he managed the plot as usual but keeping up with the weeding wasn't that easy for him.]
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 21:32 »
Wolf do a range of light weight handles and interchangeable attachments such as hoe blade, trowel, fork, rake, brush, crevice scraper, path weeder, etc etc. Easy to use without bending, look good and easier to carry around than several different tools. Could start the set for about £30 and add on from about £10 a time.
R

poppies

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 23:01 »
Hi agree about the wolf tools they are brilliant, also I treated myself to one of those kneeler/ stool thingies you can use it to kneel on and turn it over to sit on - sometimes get a trapped nerve in my back and it makes it easier to get up

xx
Any ideas what this is?

Started by Bigfatsi on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 08:50
by tosca100
xx
What do I go for for Christmas?

Started by bigben on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 23:05
by SUTTY1
xx
Christmas come early!

Started by ex-cavator on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 07:35
by smud6ie
clip
Just what this shed needs at Christmas

Started by mumofstig on Equipment Shed

38 Replies
Last post December 26, 2019, 21:09
by New shoot

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.