which rotavator or tiller for lady to use

• 6 Replies

LILLILEAF

which rotavator or tiller for lady to use
« on: December 04, 2019, 18:42 »
I will have some work to do on my veg patch, i would like to give a tiller or rotavator a go, which one to go for I do have issues with my hip and a slightly wonky leg, but this does not stop me having ago.
What machine would be good for  me to go for, i have never used one, but I think it would be much easier for me than spending hours digging, whats do you say.
Tractor would be great :lol: be the purse won't stretch that far and the garden is not big enough.
Thank you in advance.Lillileaf

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
Re: which rotavator or tiller for lady to use
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 18:55 »
Hi
You say garden, I am guessing then that you have access to electricity? If so I would suggest an electric one. I have no experience with them but know the pull start of the petrol ones can be awkward.
They will not be as heavy but should cope with a "garden" patch.

Tony B.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 19:06 »
The area I need to do is around 20sqm x 25sqm,i have no problem using petrol equipment, the pull starts are fine I use a petrol mower.
I am fairly strong worked with cattle sheep and horses, now I sharpen animal blades as a job.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 05:48 »
Have a look at a Mantis, LL.

https://mantis.uk.com/product-category/tillers/

They're quite light, very easy to drive and manipulate in tight corners, and while you do need to pull the cord to start it, once it's going it'll just work all day! (I don't know about the electric version, but wouldn't have had one anyway, as there was no power on 'The Patch')!

They're not cheap, but a basic one - i.e. not the De Luxe, is just fine for most jobs, but remember, it is just a tiller, not a full-blooded rotovator, so it'll only work down to a maximum of about 10", and prefers ground which has at least been dug to rough clods, so that may be an issue with said wonky bits...

If you'd like more advice, post it here, and several of us can help, because there are a few ways to make tilling easier, by using different tines in different ways etc!

Ebay always have a few, but if you can, (and the price is a bit of a gulp - Mrs Growster bought mine for several birthdays and a couple of Christmas pressies, plus Father's Day, Walpurgis Night, Guy Fawkes, Advent, Easter, etc. etc.), it's worth saving up for a new one, then add the other bits over the years as/if you need them!

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 11:58 »
Have you looked in to no dig, lots of YouTube videos to give more details, I’m a converted fan, on here some would say zealot. The outlay for composted mulch in the first instance can be an issue but thereafter you only need an inch all over each year or thereabouts. Worth considering in my opinion, you still get a good workout trundling it all about & it’s better for all the micro organisms in the soil.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jezza

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 13:18 »
Hello  just been looking in the Stihl catalogue there's 2 smallish ones 36kg each 4.5 engines  or try a hire shop if it only a once over job ask for a tiller they're usually engine over tine  machines rotavator are usually whèels at front rotor on the back but can be heavy to use  jezza

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 15:28 »
we bought two rotavators  a Viking and  a Mantis both petrol I tend to agree with Growster  what he has said in his reply we bought the Mantis several years ago and as said it doesn't do the work of the Viking on heavy ground but we found it very versatile for using on our raised beds after winter digging

and you can fold it up and transport it in the car anywhere its easy to start and clean and can be used by most including the lady gardeners the Viking would be much harder for a lady gardener as its a bigger machine but the advantage with the Viking or any other larger rotavators it makes light work of larger areas that need cultivating I use our Viking  for both planting and ridging up our potatoes

but when I don't need to take the larger rotavator down the allotments with the tractor and trailer then as I said I fold up the Mantis in the back of the car with a can of fuel and it does a good  job for us

like every thing there's a price to be paid for these machines but they do make life easier and last many years if looked after I wouldn't be without my rotavators and when they pack up so will I :D

xx
rotavator/tiller

Started by bailey on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 20:02
by DavidT
xx
rotavator v tiller?

Started by bailey on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 15:38
by Kristen
xx
Monro tiller s3 rotavator

Started by min200 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 10:26
by jimbob
xx
Templar Tiller Rotavator

Started by schoie7 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2016, 11:36
by shedmeister

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 44 queries.