Roots roots roots - reviving my plot

• 26 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: Roots roots roots - reviving my plot
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 20:50 »
Another idea, perennial forest crops ie sorrell, artichokes loads to choose from borrow Creating a Forest Garden by Martin Crawford from the libary and normal veg plot else where.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

BuddingGrower

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 18:54 »
Ok I've opened discussions about using another part of the garden, possibly the top of the lawn. I'm not worrįed about losing lawn, it's about the least environmentally friendly type of garden space in my opinion. But it's really up to my parents. In the meantime, and in any case simultaneously, I'm going to continue with the old plot as it's such a good space.

So it's now superficially cleared completely. What I'm going to start tomorrow is turning the soil over a bit to let the frost get at it for a while. After that, I'd like to cover it to starve the weeds. Can anyone recommend what I should cover it with?

BuddingGrower

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 12:07 »
Thought I'd post a pic of how I'm getting on. I've been digging through the plot, trench by trench, just trying to clear out as many of the roots as I physically can. It's haaaaaaaaard work! My lovely gf (as pictured) has given me some help, and I'm probably just over a quarter of the way through now (there are a lot of roots!)

In a lot of places, when I get to about 1.5 - 2 spit lengths down, I come across a big tree root  :( I really hope they won't affect my crop too much
photo (3).JPG

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 12:19 »
I replied to your post a bit back GTG and it instantly disappeared  :nowink:  I am in the same boat as you with roots, roots and more roots. I keep chopping, sawing, pulling when they crop up as I go about clearing space for veggies.  I've been at it ages but we'll get there in the end

If like mine, your garden has been left to its own devices for years, it should be full of goodness as it's had lots of leaf fall over the years.  Mine is growing like mad and I've had loads of veg off it. It's in quite a bit of shade too but overhanging trees are getting pruned over time

I think I posted pics in the Construction bit

Good luck with it  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 13:57 »
Well done on where you've got to BG! I know how hard it is to get the roots out. My plot runs along a blackthorn hedge, so I am resigned to digging those beds each year to keep the roots/suckers in check. Plus I am breaking the ground in some parts for the first time in over 10 years so the roots are BIG.

At least once you've done the initial clearing it will be much easier to do next time. Hold on to that thought... :lol:

cadalot

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 06:43 »
Surbie et al are you putting some kind of root barrier in along the edge where you have cut back too?

3759allen

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 12:17 »
i think if it were me i would put all my effort into cutting out as many large roots as possible, and putting in barriers to try to stop the roots sapping the veggie patch of nutrients.

the parts of the patch furthest away from the tree's i would try to get as much organic material as possible to mulch with then cover for the winter, dampening if needed. the worms will work the soil for you, obviously they won't remove the roots and debris. but the soil should be lighter and broken up by worm activity for digging over in spring.

i would try having a word with next year about pruning of their tree, maybe offering a hand or doing it for them if that will keep them sweet. i'm pretty sure that you have the right to remove any branches that over hang your boundary, you would have to research this as i'm no lawyer.

LilacSandy

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 12:32 »

So it's now superficially cleared completely. What I'm going to start tomorrow is turning the soil over a bit to let the frost get at it for a while. After that, I'd like to cover it to starve the weeds. Can anyone recommend what I should cover it with?
[/quote]

I use cardboard weighted down with stones, It can then be either dug in or composted in spring.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 17:49 »
Surbie et al are you putting some kind of root barrier in along the edge where you have cut back too?

Nope, not me. I figure that they will just go under so a dig each year should be enough. With a really really sharp spade. I've been playing with my new mattock today to clear some more ground that's riddled with blackthorn and it is SO much easier than working with a spade. Definitely my favourite new tool.  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 17:50 by surbie100 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 19:04 »
I used to cut through the big roots with my pruning saw  :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 19:46 »
I used to cut through the big roots with my pruning saw  :ohmy:

So did I, if the big loppers didn't do the job.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 22:57 »
Or a combo of all of them  :D

xx
mass of fine roots in veg plot

Started by petejulie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 20:01
by Yorkie
xx
roots

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2007, 19:31
by gobs
xx
What roots are these?

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 15:16
by Beetroot queen
clip
What are these roots?

Started by Seagull on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2020, 21:34
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 40 queries.