Painting a chicken coop

• 6 Replies

Casey76

Painting a chicken coop
« on: September 24, 2009, 12:49 »
OK... plans going full steam ahead for my beautiful new chicken coop.

I would like to paint the finished article to it doesn't stand out quite so much (like my rather ginger-coloured coop currently does).

I'll be using pine tasseaux and plywood sheeting (if all goes to plan!), roofed with onduline.  So how can a make the wood weatherproof and still be animal friendly at the same time?

poultrygeist

Re: Painting a chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 13:11 »
What's pine tasseaux ?  ???

Paint wise, anything water based should be fine, as long as you give it time to air out thoroughly. Something equivalent to cuprinol for sheds, etc.

Photos in the Chicken Chat when ready please  :)

Rob 8)

tode

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 13:25 »
Go for a "Peinture bois neuf, extérieur"   You can buy "Lasure", which is more of a stain, lets the grain show through, but I think a paint will protect the plywood better.
You should find quite a large choice. I like dark green or dark brick red, but the colour's a VERY personal thing  ::)

More and more paints are water-besed now, but if you can find oil-based (dilution with white-sprit), then it will imo protect better.

Good luck

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 13:45 »
Sorry Rob, mixing my languages again, it happens quite a lot, expeically if I learn the French before the English!

Tasseaux (or a tasseau) is what you would call a length of wood - in this instance 44 x 27mm ;) (life was so much simpler when you could buy a length of 2 by 4 without any of these multitude of mm!)

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 01:36 »
I've used Cuprinol TimberCare (http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/timbercare_overview.jsp) which is claimed to be pet safe. It's quick and easy to  apply with a brush, dries quickly, and comes in several colours.  I always treat my houses twice a year, once all over the externior in spring and the second application to the roof only prior to winter around now (in fact just done it).  I don't paint the interior.  No rubbing down is required to refresh.

I wouldn't recommend an oil based exterior gloss/semi-gloss paint which may look nice when first applied to new wood but requires primer/ undercoat and two top coats, is much less easy to apply, tends to go brittle and flake off and requires a lot of work to rub down and repaint.  The chickens tend to chip it it off with their claws or by pecking once it starts to go brittle.  The water based preservatives such as the Cuprinol one are far more practical for your housing.

Best wishes
Truth through science.

grumpydad

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 19:35 »
i used one of the cuprinol "ducks back" water based treatments, with added wax, makes it waterproof, easy to use, and pet friendly

Knight Family

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:20 »
I just used water based fence paint and all have been fine. Going to rebuild mine post house move and use the same water based fence paints.

Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

xx
Fence wood and old gate chicken coop.

Started by orfy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 22:58
by Poolfield2
xx
'Bright' Idea - using solar lights for chicken coop

Started by FCG on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 11:27
by poultrygeist
xx
Shed painting help

Started by simon_wright91 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 16:46
by JayG
xx
Painting decking

Started by pink aubergine on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 18:19
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.