Can seaweed foliar feed finish them off?

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Can seaweed foliar feed finish them off?
« on: June 13, 2012, 14:10 »
I have quite a few tender plants looking a bit sorry for themselves at the moment, with pale leaves and little growth because of the horrible weather. I got some Vitax liquid seaweed feed to see if that would help them at all and yesterday I tried it on three tiny plants in my tunnel that I really should pull up and chuck away, because they're so small at this point that they're unlikely to give a crop this year, two aubergine and one sweet pepper. I mixed it up at 2 caps per 6 litres, and in fact it was more like 7 litres or so, in a watering can, and used the can (with a fine rose) to water those three plants. When I looked this morning, both of those aubergines looked worse than before, and in fact one has completely shrivelled up. The pepper looks fine.

This surely can't be coincidence, that those two aubergine plants went downhill so fast just after I gave them the seaweed feed, can it? I definitely didn't overdose, if anything the mix was slightly weaker than the label recommends. The watering can has never been used for anything but water, and is the same one I've been using to water those same plants. Any ideas why this happened? I'm now a bit hesitant to put that liquid feed on any of my other plants.

Trillium

Re: Can seaweed foliar feed finish them off?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 14:23 »
I wouldn't blame the seaweed mix. Sounds more like the plants were dying anyway and nothing would have helped them at that stage.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 15:37 »
I agrre with Trillium - sounds like they were struggling - maybe too much water and / or cold temps plus a resultant fungal infection?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 16:37 »
I agree Goosegirl - I was just thinking that a cold shower and no warmth to dry the leaves, wouldn't have helped if they were already feeling poorly :(

xx
Seaweed foliar feed or root drench

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 13:30
by Yana
xx
Which foliar feed?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2019, 17:59
by Growster...
xx
Chempak Foliar Feed

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:32
by fatcat1955
xx
Foliar feed for struggling tomatoes

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 07:18
by BussinSpain

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 30 queries.