Potatoes in pots and compost

• 7 Replies

sclarke624

« on: July 01, 2008, 19:52 »
Potatoe in pots not the ground.  

My 'Flower/plastic' pots are very large i.e. 24" across and 18" high.   They take about 105 ltrs of compost wihich is about one half big bags.  Like the bags you usually get buy three for £10.  Out of those two plastic pots I got all together 16lb 4 oz which is approx 7.3kg.  Thats from a 2.5kg bag of seed tats.  Tats Lady Christl.

I am wondering next year wether to fill with compost to top as most of the biggies and yeild is at the bottom.

I don't have much other use for the old compost got all the pots of flowers I want, with compost in.

I know you are not supposed to but does anyone ever use the same compost for the following years tats that has been used for tats previous?  

What do you think?
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

wighty

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 20:41 »
The nutrients in commercial compost are only recommended for six weeks so don't think will be any good for next year.

diggerjoe

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 16:05 »
I've not had much from my Lady Christel this year grown in the ground. Lottie neighbour has great ones last year so planted them on recommendation - may be that this year is not a good year for that variety i think i only got about 8lbs off mine in a row about 6foot long and most were small.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 17:27 »
Quote from: "diggerjoe"
I've not had much from my Lady Christel this year grown in the ground. Lottie neighbour has great ones last year so planted them on recommendation - may be that this year is not a good year for that variety i think i only got about 8lbs off mine in a row about 6foot long and most were small.

It's not the year, Joe. Mine LC's are loaded despite the frost setback!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 17:37 »
mine too...
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

gobs

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 18:25 »
A 6 foot row is not that long though. If the ground is not rich enough, that would be about ok, from the plants you can squeeze in there.

The small tubers wood be sign of not really ready yet or the plant is hungry.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 18:34 »
My lady Chritl were what I expected as well.  Put loas of chicken poo in compost.

diggerjoe

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:56 »
Did a fair bit preparation  - this is the first year I've grown spuds and it the first time anything had been grown in this area (it was knee high grass and brambles this time last year) I think you are all right its lack of food and also lack of water I did water at first but back and forth to the tap was taking me over an hour each time so I have relied on rain and maybe I was a bit too premature to get them up. I have about 6 other varieties all in short rows. I did all the earlys and second earlies in short rows and the mains the full width of the plot - why I do not know. Think next I will prepare the ground better and get some more muck in. I've got  Ratte in three big bags at home it will be interesting to see if they fare better. :)

xx
Compost for potatoes in pots

Started by Hitwoman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 22:14
by Hitwoman
xx
what to do with old compost in pots?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 13:12
by JayG
xx
Potatoes in pots...

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 11:23
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes in pots

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 18:36
by casper

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 36 queries.