Seaweed feed

• 11 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Seaweed feed
« on: June 05, 2013, 20:15 »
Would you use seaweed liquid feed on a courgette plant with fruit on it, so it gets on the fruit? I really need to get some of the granular slow release stuff Vitax do, works out much cheaper than liquid tomato feeds and I like the idea of having a slow and steady supply to the plant, but at the moment I haven't got any and I just wanted to give a little feed to one of my courgette plants that's growing some decent sized fruit.

fatcat1955

Re: Seaweed feed
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 20:33 »
Seaweed feed to my knowledge is not a replacement for tomato feed . It is full of mineral's which the plant need's but are lacking in other feed's.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 20:48 »
I tend to use seaweed feed more as a pick me up for ailing plants.  I am currently spraying my peach trees which are infected with leaf curl  :(
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 21:42 »
The usual seaweed feed is a balanced liquid fertiliser with trace elements.

Once tomatoes have started to set fruit, you ideally need a high potash feed rather than a balanced fertiliser.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 22:09 »
Potato feed is high potash, isn't it? I have a suspicion there's not a lot of difference between the Vitax tomato feed, potato feed and slow release fruit feed. I always end up with a host of different feeds and I always have a suspicion they're much the same thing.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 22:36 »
I've always used maxicrop seaweed feed on courgettes and other stuff up the lottie.
I did use it right through the greenhouse - obviously not good for toms then?
I've bought 'Baby Bio for Tomatoes' this year

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:37 »
I have used seaweed feed to feed tomatoes quite successfully when I ran out of the usual tomato stuff.   It seemed to work quite well.  I normally reserve seaweed as a pick me up for veg not doing so well, it seems to perk up beans after transplanting quite nicely.   I think it's good stuff, although quite pricey a little goes a long way.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:26 »
I think there is a difference between seaweed liquid feed and seaweed extract, which is a pure seaweed spray used as a pick-me-up for soil and plants, rather than as a fertiliser.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:47 »
I think there is a difference between seaweed liquid feed and seaweed extract, which is a pure seaweed spray used as a pick-me-up for soil and plants, rather than as a fertiliser.

The one I use is Vitax seaweed extract. The blurb says:
Its regular application will promote healthy growth of all types of plants, flowers and vegetables. It will also help plants withstand environmental stress and attack from pests or disease.  It can be used as a liquid root drench or applied as a foliar spray to the leaves of fruit, flowers, vegetables, shrubs and trees.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:10 »
That one doesn't say it's a fertiliser - there are no NPK levels marked on the bottle, although it's good stuff ;)

With Maxicrop there is a clear difference between the 2 products - so it's clearer what you are buying  :)

http://www.maxicrop.co.uk/

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:54 »
I usually leave a big bucket of comfrey and nettles stewing all year round and bottle the stuff around about now (just done it this year and started a fresh batch off). Would adding a bit of seaweed make any difference? Would it break down in the same way? Usually I'm left with black, smelly water and bit of residue in the bottom, but as seaweed is aquatic, I'm not sure what I'd get.

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 11:06 »

I've been using seaweed liquid fertilizer from my farmer friend. He says you can use it on everything.

He obviously buys in bulk, but what I do, is take the empty 'un-rinsed'  ;) 20ltr barrels home and refill with water, slosh them around and hey presto, ready mixed liquid feed!  :D

Says either to spray, as he does, or watering can....

xx
Seaweed liquid feed

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 09:38
by snowdrops
xx
Making 'liquid feed' from seaweed

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 14:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
Home made seaweed feed

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 17:42
by hubballi
xx
Can seaweed foliar feed finish them off?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 16:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 37 queries.