Mouth breathing

• 13 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Mouth breathing
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:51 »
Or should that be beak breathing?  One of my ex-batts is breathing with her beak open.  Should I take her to the vet?  I worry more on a friday, as they're not open again till monday.
Two of the other three have gone paler on top of their heads, they look like they're going grey.  Are they moulting?

Rubellite

Re: Mouth breathing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:38 »
I don't really know. More info would help. Is she still eating/acting as usual? Does she sound raspy when she's breathing? Snotty nose, watery eyes? Normal temp? Feel under her wing, check against the others to see if she feels hot. Might be gapeworm - have you wormed them?
Someone else will be along who knows more but will ask these questions and probably more  :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 14:37 »
Do you mean yawning, or is she keeping her beak open all the time? 

Has she got something stuck? 

Yawning can be a symptom of gap worm.  Though my Pearl (ex batt) does it occasionally, and worming doesn't make any difference.  Apart from that she's fit as a flea.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 15:52 »
Sorry, I meant to say everything else about her was fine.  After posting I realised her breath was rasping, so I took her to the vet.  They don't know what it is, she's on anti-biotics and anti-inflammatories, then an x-ray tomorrow if they don't work.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 16:26 »
I've just had the smallholder news letter, and it says at this time of year respiratory issues are the biggest problem for chooks.
Sounds like you've done the right thing.  Hope she picks up.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 17:33 »
Thanks, I hope so too.  I think the vet is worried I may have something contagious, as I lost a hen a few weeks ago.  Fingers crossed.

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:12 »
Batt.hens are inoculated for most things. Maybe Mycoplasma? Probably cheaper to slaughter them & start again.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 12:38 »
Batt.hens are inoculated for most things. Maybe Mycoplasma? Probably cheaper to slaughter them & start again.

Dont mean to be rude but you dont 'slaughter them and start again' with ex-batts! :mad: ex-batts are not there to make you money, they are rescued and in retirement!!

Susie B, you have done the right thing. Some of my ex-batts have been a bit raspy in the past, extra TLC and baytrill sorted them out! I ordered some grapefruit juice extract from the omlet site. you add it to water and it helps respitory problems, since using it we have had no more problems. People also use garlic granuals added to the water for the same reason  ;), take care, and good luck with them

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 13:27 »
It sounds like a simple respiratory infection, excerbated  by the damp misty weather we are having.

If you have made the decision to treat your birds then a course of Baytil will sort her out. Will not be expensive, consult and meds should cost around £20. It may be advisable to treat  all your little flock as most of these illness tend to be highly infectious.

A good idea would be to give the house a good clean out with a good disinfectant and be sure to remove all bedding and nesting material. Stalosan F is a very useful and effective dry powder disinfectant you can use under the bedding material. Check ventilation, it can be tempting in this weather to bung them all up - coupled with damp bedding (straw etc) can cause condensation which will promote bugs.

Check and replace run material unless they free-range -if the free range move the house and change position of feeders and drinkers.

Apple cider vinegar 25ml to 1litre is a good all round tonic - if you are using increase to 50mls per litre as it is also good at decreasing the mucus produced. :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 14:17 »
Thank you for your replies and advice. It is encouraging that it is likely to be a respiratory problem and treatable.  My last girl died of a large tumour, the vet thinks this may also be a (contagious) tumour affecting her breathing.  She's out running around with her muckers following her engemycin anti-biotic and anti-inflammatories, so fingers crossed.   Tomorrow I am going to follow all the above suggestions (well apart from slaughtering them).

goodegg

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 17:28 »
thats right you dont kill them for no reason thats only a last resort when there is nothing else to be tried chickens are not for profit they are for pleasure its like killing one of the family for no reason well done for taking her to the vet and best of luck to your chooks

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 17:56 »
I am a bit disturbed by some posts in this thread. Surely it is up to the individual how they choose to deal with a sick hen. As long as if the decision to cull is taken it is done humanely and expertly I don't feel any of us has the right to criticise that. Likewise the decision to seek help from a vet should be done quickly and in ALL instances the bird should NEVER be left to suffer.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 18:30 »
i agree that the birds must always be delt with humanely, but it was suggested that it would be cheaper to cull and start again, im sure i dont need to point out that keeping ex-batts isnt about making money and profit, its about giving them a good life for their retirement. An ex-batt is taken on as a pet, you dont cull ex batts because its cheaper!

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 19:21 »
I didn't mean to imply that you should cull purely for financial reasons. You said the vet did not know what the bird was suffering from, are you willing to take the risk that it is contagious + may result in all being infected?  I also have around 50 ex batts, 'golden oldies' + other peoples cast offs that I intend to let live out the rest of their natural lives, so I'm not heartless. 

question
Chicken breathing with mouth open

Started by Rupert Bear on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 18:25
by bexybeck
xx
Prolonged molt and malise/mouth breathing

Started by Egg Lady of Idaho on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 17:51
by Egg Lady of Idaho
xx
Me and my big mouth!!

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 18:21
by Goldfinger
xx
Foot & Mouth

Started by slowef on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 22:20
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 38 queries.