treating chickens for capillaria (hairworms)

• 2 Replies

gonda

treating chickens for capillaria (hairworms)
« on: August 13, 2011, 20:19 »
Hello, I'm new to this site. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this type of question. I was reading the information at http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4348.0 and am interested in knowing if it is advisable or not to de-worm chickens at 15 weeks of age. I have 8 pullets/cockerels in that age group, and lost 6 out of 14 to coccidiosis and they also may have capillaria nematodes (hairworm). Two of them were necropsied and were found to carry the capillaria as well as round worm, as well as multiple strains of coccidia. So yes, I have a few issues here, and it's a long story about how this all developed. I have four adult birds, a rooster and 3 hens. Two hens are broody, eggs due to hatch on Aug. 19th so another challenge coming up. One hen has not been well for a few weeks. She had an abscess on her bottom, which I treated and that has healed after scabbing over and the scab is off now. She's sleepy though. She eats, drinks, runs, walks, is outside all day, jumps up to roost, but falls asleep a lot. I'd like to deworm her and plan to start tomorrow or Monday as I've stopped the amprol treatment for the older birds today. I suspect the rooster also has worms as he opens his mouth a fair bit.

I understand that for capillaria, fenbendazole is an effective dewormer, broad spectrum, and is less toxic than some others. I can get that locally but no one will or can tell me how to dose for individual chickens. Does anyone know? I can't find information to tell me if it's similar to flubendazole.

And can anyone tell me if it's safe to de-worm chicks at 15 weeks, after their coccidiosis treatment is finished? Some say it's not good to deworm until they're 5 or 6 months. I'm giving them yogurt, probiotics, DE, garlic, pumpkin seed powder. They are all looking healthy, and are more active now than they were a few days ago. A few are a bit lagging in growth though, and I'm concerned about that.

bantam novice

Re: treating chickens for capillaria (hairworms)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 14:24 »
Hello Gonda,

welcome to the forum  :D

I am not an expert and I'm sure someone more experienced will be along.  The wormer I use is Flubenvet, which I think is a commercial name for flubendazole.

I am not sure about dosage for chicks but I am sure someone will be able to advise you on that.

In the meantime good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: treating chickens for capillaria (hairworms)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 22:41 »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

question
treating frightened chickens.

Started by patandlaura on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 14:03
by sneezer
xx
Treating red mite

Started by susiepoos on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 08:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
treating a hen house

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 22:53
by grinling
xx
Treating/medication

Started by red on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 10:00
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 30 queries.