graa on my plot

• 4 Replies

beng

graa on my plot
« on: July 26, 2006, 13:54 »
hello,
I am just embarking on planning my new plot out. The plot is probably a bit to big for the time I have available so to reduce it I am considering grass. I will be putting paving stones in the high wear areas in a kinda stepping stone fashion. Has anyone done a similar thing or aware of any potential pitfalls?

dave

graa on my plot
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 15:03 »
why not try a green manure on the unused bit and then swap next year?

I'd recommend tares (vetch) which will add nitrogen and then die down over the winter and rot in in time for next year.

You can keep as much as you need out of circulation until such time as you can provide more effort.  My own view is that you need to be retired to keep a standard allotment thriving, but there are lots of people out there who can prove me wrong

Other green manures
field beans
phacelia (excellent for bees) and pretty too
hungarian grazing rye
etc etc just google around

Best of luck

Dave

Oliver

Allotments take a lot of work
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 22:42 »
Quote from: "dave"
My own view is that you need to be retired to keep a standard allotment thriving

Afraid I agree with this sentiment, mostly. Allotments take a lot of work just keeping the weeds under control. A lot of people seem to think allotments like ours just happen by themselves, or are inherited! They also think you plant a seed today and tomorrow you have a fully mature something or other.  Patience and hard work are keywords.

When they were in full time paid employment they grew stuff that could get by with help from God (when it rained) or its own tenacity - spuds, pumpkins, herbs, carrots, brassicas, some lettuces, with a quick foray to sort out the weeds whenever time permitted.  Anything that needed fiddling around with was avoided.

They tried to plan things too, to let the winter frosts do a lot of work for them by rough digging the plot in the autumn and covering unused bits with carpet or black plastic.

Now that they are retired they are busy nearly all day. Especially busy during April May and June.

so, whatever you do, plan, pace yourself, but above all, keep at it and enjoy yourself.
Oliver (I know, I spend most of my time watching the humans, but there it is.)
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
graa on my plot
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 22:46 »
But that's what being a cat is all about Oliver!

milkman

graa on my plot
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 20:39 »
I disagree with this sentiment that you have to be retired to keep the whole allotment fully thriving.  I guess you have to be retired in order to keep the entire plot weed-free and looking a picture ready to win the best-kept allotment prizes, but that is different from being able to manage the whole plot productively.  I work full time AND have a convenience strore business, but still manage to produce a reasonable crop of veg on my two plots, in spite of the weeds.  And I don't spend every other waking moment at the allotment either.  

Dividing my plots into fixed beds has definitely helped, but so has simply not getting stressed out about weeds and slugs.  Weeds are a useful addition to the compost heap when I get round to clearing them, slugs simply get chopped in half in situ when I come across them. Easy.  What takes the time at the moment on a daily basis is harvesting all that veg!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

clip
Sometimes it's about what you don't remove from the plot

Started by Subversive_plot on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2020, 02:20
by Subversive_plot
xx
Cut flowers on the plot?

Started by FatGaz on General Gardening

43 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 07:42
by Sweetpea C
xx
Boggy plot

Started by North Devon Dumpling on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 12:16
by Bombers
xx
flowers in veg plot

Started by dmg on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 19:47
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 39 queries.