Is it too late...

• 7 Replies

Worms wife

Is it too late...
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:22 »
Is it too late in the season to start growing 'things' in my new green house?
It is clean,lovely and full of new pots...but it is missing something..oh yes...things growing!!
What the heck should I start with my green fingered friends :wub:
Any advice would really help and make me look like I'm not just sitting in there reading the paper.

Thanks

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Is it too late...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 13:21 »
Hi, I think you could sow lettuce leaves for summer use and in a few weeks time start off your winter lettuces for overwintering under cover.  Also spring onions (Lisbon variety), not sure about radish  :tongue2: but you might want to give it a go.  Basil and oregano in pots possibly as well.  It might not be too late to find a garden centre that is looking to sell off tomato plants or chilli plants cheap either.  Good luck

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 13:42 »
There are still a few plants in garden centres, but they might be a bit expensive . Might be worth looking for well grown chillis, peppers, cucumbers and toms. Be careful what you sow in the greenhouse at this time of the year there is still a couple of months of summer possible((????)) when it might get too hot for seedlings. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could start stuff such as carrots and beetroot and spring onions in large pots and bring them in in Autumn, and you can grow salad leaves through the winter. Also, next month there should be some seed potatoes available to grow in pots for winter new potatoes.

Have fun! :D

Worms wife

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 20:46 »
Thanks for that advice-I may look at buying potato bags for growing my spuds in as I only have a little veg patch.Are they worth having? What potatoes will 'wow' my mother inlaw ( :wacko:) at Christmas that I can say I grew ???

stompy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54 »
Don't know if your on an allotment or not but if you are or know anyone else growing tomatoes you could ask them to give you their nipped out side shoots!

You can pot them on and within a week or 2 they will root and you will have a plant growing and should get a crop off it this year  ;)

Worms wife

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:20 »
OO! Thankyou Mr Stompy :happy:
I know a man with a tomato plant so I reckon I will ask him ;)

BILL251

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 20:28 »
I  grow potatoes  in   bags now for  Christmas in the green house,  all year    lettuce  should  be ok  but  don't let them get to warm     if  you  grow them  now   and in truth there nothing  wrong  with  just sitting there reading and planing  next  year  Good  luck  with many  great days in the green house

tlm1965

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 15:46 »
 You can grow vegetables any time of the year. I find it helps to keep them warm during colder months. I cannot wait to harvest my spuds, never grown them before, they are flowering and the foliage is healthy.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 40 queries.