Automatic Coop Door

• 4 Replies

thechicken

Automatic Coop Door
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:00 »
We have recently fitted an automatic door to the coop due to the chickens being free range and when my husband is away working I have to open them up and close them after dark.
Curretnly struggling to get it to work (but that is another story) What I want to know is based on the fact that they will have pkenty of food and water (and they are free range) could we leave them for a night or would you recommend we get  somebody to always look after them?
Would appreciate thoughts.

Prod

Re: Automatic Coop Door
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:16 »
My chickens free range & I have a coop with an automatic door. I go to check on them 3 or 4 times a day and sometimes around the time the door opens/closes, just to make sure.  Last week, as it is starting to get lighter, 4 of them had stayed out and were in the shelter so I placed them in the coop and the next day changed the 'closing' time by an hour. They have food in a Grandpa's feeder which lasts about 5 to 6 days and, although they have a water container they drink from the watering can/bucket/puddles.  I have left them for 2 nights without any bother, (not saying I didnt worry)  but apart from missing some treats they were fine.  Personally I think yours should be Ok   but if you do have someone to check it wouldnt do any harm if nothing but for piece of mind. :)

thechicken

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 15:11 »
Thanks for your response.

Not sure I would ever leave them as I would worry about them too much! Useful for the odd day out though!

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 16:49 »
As they are free ranging I would personally get somebody to check on them if you spend a day or 2 away.

I have noticed that if 1 of mine feels under the weather for some reason, they haven't always been able to make it back to the hen house on time before the pop hole closes so if they aren't in a secure run they could be a target for predators  :(
Helen

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 13:26 »
I used to have one of those doors and found it invaluable.  In the summer the girls were able to be up and about hours before I was.
I've sat and watched them in the evening cos it is soooo funny to see the shenanigans that go on at bed time.  They just about manage to get in before it comes down.  And I'm sure where playing 'chicken', cos there was an awful lot of last minute loitering on the ramp, and then sticking heads back out as it came down!  Tut.
Only every had one time of one not getting in, and she wasn't feeling well, so miss judged it.
I used to go down after they'd gone in anyway, just to bring in the feeders (don't want to feed rats), so was always able to double check.
The rare time we went away, I had someone come in in the day to top up food, clean water, and remove eggs and have a general look see, but she wasn't able to visit again in the evening. So I suppose we did take a chance.  But providing you've got the thing synchronised to their bed time preference, I think it's a very small chance.

xx
automatic door for coop!!!

Started by tamnwill on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 20:53
by hillfooter
xx
automatic door qu.

Started by iowrooster on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 09:30
by iowrooster
xx
Automatic door opener

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 01:24
by hillfooter
xx
Automatic Chicken Door

Started by Chicken star on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 21:19
by Chicken star

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 38 queries.