Cellar 7

• 32 Replies

BobE

Re: Cellar 7
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 12:14 »
Thats interesting Capt Zero, screw tops would be a lot easier to use.  I will try them with my next brew.
However the 5 I put into deep archive I will cork as I am trying to create a long term collection.  Thanks for the update.

Auntimogs.  Did you get the kit?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 12:29 »
Yup, I ordered the Merlot iBrew kit from Wilko.  I looked around and was quite astonished that they were selling the same on Amazon for nearly twice the price!  :ohmy:  It means that I can get rid of my odd assortment of containers now and with the equipment (which has good reviews) plus 2x15 bottle wine kits didn't seem too bad (that's my justification anyway!  ::)) and I can use it for the couple of unused kits I have hanging around.

I was in Wilko yesterday and they had some 30 bottle, 3 week wine kits reduced from £38? to £20 but I wanted to look at reviews first.  Unfortunately, they're not online so I may have to pop back (I figured that considering the original price and that they were 'just add water' they must be fairly good quality.

I'm definitely going to go for one of the Cellar 7 kits and use my beer making equipment (pressure barrel should make it much easier to bottle) but still procrastinating as to which one.  Plus I've got to start collecting bottles again as a friend tidied up my shed while I was away and recycled my stache.  :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

BobE

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 14:31 »
Yup, I ordered the Merlot iBrew kit from Wilko.  I looked around and was quite astonished that they were selling the same on Amazon for nearly twice the price!  :ohmy:  It means that I can get rid of my odd assortment of containers now and with the equipment (which has good reviews) plus 2x15 bottle wine kits didn't seem too bad (that's my justification anyway!  ::) ) and I can use it for the couple of unused kits I have hanging around.

I was in Wilko yesterday and they had some 30 bottle, 3 week wine kits reduced from £38? to £20 but I wanted to look at reviews first.  Unfortunately, they're not online so I may have to pop back (I figured that considering the original price and that they were 'just add water' they must be fairly good quality.

I'm definitely going to go for one of the Cellar 7 kits and use my beer making equipment (pressure barrel should make it much easier to bottle) but still procrastinating as to which one.  Plus I've got to start collecting bottles again as a friend tidied up my shed while I was away and recycled my stache.  :lol:

Water only 3 week 30 bottle kit sounds excellent.  At this level we are only trying to beat the supermarket £5-£7 range and most kits do that easily.  My first choice of red in Cellar 7 is the Italian Red, very smooth a lot like the Blossom Hill Merlot.  Im going to have another look at your kit now.
Keep us informed as to progress please.

BobE

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 14:38 »
Aunti, There is a problem with the Wilco kit.

Starter Kit Includes[/size]

Plastic 15L Fermenter Bucket with Lid
1 x 15 Bottle Wine Fermenter
[/size]

The Cellar 7 kits require at least 23L fermentation.  (I actually push it up to 5G without detriment.)

I think the Wilko kit will only ever do 15 bottle kits.

I do like the reusable 6L bladders, bit like a wine box. I might try to buy some of them.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 14:39 by BobE »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 18:00 »
Well, back from my travels...

I bought 2 Muntons Premium 30 bottle wine kits (one Chardonnay and one Shiraz) for £20 each.  I don't seem to be able to find a review anywhere but I did find this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muntons-Premium-Chardonnay-Chenille%C2%AE-Cleaning/dp/B00A7NASE8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1375289389&sr=8-7&keywords=muntons+premium+wine+kit 

which is the same wine kit plus what looks like a car cleaning mitt  :lol: for a very high price....odd.

Would love to know if I have a bargain as there were quite a few left....

Yes, the iBrew kit is limited to 15L but will be fine for smaller batches.  Luckily I have 2 each of beer fermenting and pressure barrels so I'll use those for larger kits. 

Do you think it would be ok to just leave it in the barrel and bottle up as I go along?  That way I can test on a regular basis  ::) and decant as bottles become available.  I'm going to reuse screwtops but also have some plastic corks which I might try.   

BobE

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 18:16 »

Do you think it would be ok to just leave it in the barrel and bottle up as I go along?  That way I can test on a regular basis  ::) and decant as bottles become available.  I'm going to reuse screwtops but also have some plastic corks which I might try.   

Air is death to wine.  Leave a bottle that has been opened and it will turn bad in 6 days.  So its not really possible to put wine into a barrel and decant it as you go.

Siphon it from the fermantation container into a barrel by all means.  Thats a good way to get the wine of the old must.  But realistically you should bottle it up straight away.  The only way to keep it in the barrel would be to ensure CO2 is protecting it.  What I do is siphon from the fermentation bucket to a PED 5 gall bottle.  I cork it, it will have a small head space.  This will fill with CO2 and I can leave the wine for a few more days.  The next time I open it I bottle it, all of it.  If theres not enough for a last bottle then I drink that bit.

The problem with your barrel is, I think the head space above the wine will be quite large.  If you seal the barrel then the wine will be ok for a few weeks.  But when you open the barrel you will need to bottle the entire amount.

In your kit they mentioned 6L bladders.  Now this is very different.  If you fill a bladder it will be like a wine box.  As you decant it the bladder will colapse.  No oxygen and so the wine will keep.  How long does an open wine box last?  (Ive never kept one more that a week  :blink:  to find out.

So you could go from the barrel to the bladders.  Then bottle some for deep archive.  Drink the bladders withing a few months, say two weeks after opening.  Or bottle from the bladders.

Im going to buy some of those bladders as it seems like a good idea.

BobE

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 18:26 »
[HSB Value+ Bundle] Muntons Premium Cellar Home Wine Kit Chardonnay 6.8kg with MF® Chenille® Cleaning Glove £84.00

You can get expensive kits.  Even my usual supplier does one.

Kenridge Showcase Chilean Chardonnay  £71.00

Out of my league.  I still do Cellar 7 at £30 a kit.  Wine comes out at £1 a bottle and tastes as good as anything I normally buy.  I am a bit cheap though.

I have only made Red wine.  White wine requires more care.  White wine should be cleared after the second rack.  It should then be polished through a filter.  If you don't do this the wine will be slightly yellow and a bit cloudy.

If your new to kits please start with a red.  Move up to whites when youve got some experience.  Trust me Im not a doctor.  :D
[/color][/size]

Auntiemogs

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 18:27 »
Mmmm....thinking now.  I was going to decant into the barrel but once it's sealed I guess I could give it a squirt of CO2.  I guess that would only keep it for so long though, even if I were to top it up with CO2 as I bottle up.  I shall have to ponder and in the meantime will look at the prices for the wine bladders.  Luckily, I'm also collecting 1L carbonated drinks bottles which I'm hoping will be ok.....at a push I'm sure I have a couple of collapsible water bladders around that we used to take camping.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 18:29 »
Ah, no, what I meant was that the one on Amazon (@£84) is actually the same one that I have just bought from Wilko (@£20) with the exception of the additional glove...

BobE

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 18:30 »
Youve bought two 6L wine bladders in that kit.

Plastic 15L Fermenter Bucket with Lid
1 x 15 Bottle Wine Fermenter
4 x 1.7kg cans Merlot Grape Concentrate (2 per brew)
2 x 6.5L Wine Dispenser Boxes
2 x 6L Dispensing Bladders   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :dry: 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 18:32 by BobE »

BobE

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 18:35 »

Ive found this for £15
Allows storage of wine for drinking. The bag inside collapes as the wine is dispensed ensuring no air can get in. Reusuable and ideal as an alternative to bottling

Vinotainer 20 Litre

Vinotainer 20 Litre

Auntiemogs

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 18:44 »
Yup, but I'm thinking ahead now... :D

That looks good and must be fairly sturdy.  Thanks BobE, I shall ruminate on it for a while.  :)

BobE

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 19:04 »
I will let you ponder,  I am going to buy one of those bladder barrels though.
Talk again later.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 19:28 »
Let me know if it's a good quality bladder as I may have a shufti myself.

I've found these, they may be okay for a few fills and it depends on how much you're brewing as minimum order is 10...also, not sure how easy they are to fill..

http://www.baginboxonline.co.uk/buyit1.html?tp=CONTINUE+SHOPPING

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 08:35 »
Ok guys & gals..I think you've talked me into having a go at one of these C7...so will have a look at Wilko's tomorrow.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 38 queries.