Electric propagator advice pls!

• 5 Replies

hectic

• Experienced Member
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:07 »
I got one of these beauties for Christmas and a couple of weeks ago planted 6 varieties of chillies and some onions. Well it seems to have done the trick as 4 of the chillies and the onions are going great guns.

The question I have now though is what do I do next? How long to they stay in there (the onions are approx 3cm and chillies up to 2cm) and d what sort of temp/light will be needed when I put them in their  pots for stage 2.

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time I have done this from scratch!

Many thanks!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:08 »
i could be wrong but i thought they only stayed in there until they germinated else they go leggy.

i haven'y used mine yet so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will come along and help us out

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:03 »
Should have come out AS SOON AS they germinated.

It may be too late to rescue these, but take them out NOW, put them on a window ledge in as much light as possible and put some alumium foil behind them to reflect more light back.

It may be a case of lesson learned & re-sow, though, I'm afraid.

I'm not a fan of propagators, I manage well enough with plastic bags! Even with these I have a personal guide line of only using them for anything that's going to go in the greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:22 »
I have three elec props (two which were given to me, lucky me) and I really get on well with them but you have to whip the seedlings out of there once they've germinated.  Also, only place seeds in it which need heat to germinate. Most seeds germinate without heat (I think it's fair to say  :D )  The seed packet will tell you that so always check  :)

Be guided by the instructions on the back of the seed packet about when to sow and how to grow on your seedlings and you'll be fine  :D

Sowing too early is the biggest problem as you'll find yourself with nowhere to grow seedlings on, especially if they need heat from now til May

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 16:04 »
I agree CQ - starting things off too early and leaving them in the propergator too long is a mistake many people make :(

hectic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 07:44 »
:oops: thanks all I have taken them out and they are all under the window sill - fingers crossed.

I knew there was a reason for getting all those free seeds! :wink:

xx
Electric propagator

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 21:16
by teflon
xx
electric window sill propagator

Started by joyce c on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 14:26
by cooperman
xx
Propagator

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 18:00
by Pimento
clip
When to take the lid off the propagator?

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 18:06
by cadalot

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 28 queries.