Rats

• 16 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Rats
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:42 »
Just spent a very unpleasant afternoon cleaning rat poo and rotting produce out of the shed next to the house. There were some signs of one in there a couple of weeks ago, but no real damage, and then yesterday saw they had got into, and eaten most of, my stored apples and even had a go at the dahlias. They even found a packet of lettuce seeds and ate them, and left poo in one of my wellies.  For some reason the spuds were untouched but won't be eating them now. Apparently they are everywhere this winter. Shall get the exterminators in; I'm not messing around with trying to do it myself so close to the house.
Even if you have not had any problem with them yet, I'd advise everyone to check for them.

Charlie

Salmo

Rats
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26 »
Contact your Council. They may do it for free or can tell you a reliable firm that will.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Rats
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:59 »
Over Christmas I found they had got into my shed, they did attack my potatoes and ate all my carrots, they tried the onions but didn’t like them. Blocked off the hole they has made to gain entry, hopefully better luck this year.
Paul

Oscar Too

Rats
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 15:00 »
Weather's cold, drives them in.

RichardC

• http://www.forums.ilambretta.com/phpBB2/
Rats
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 17:22 »
Sorry about your lost stores :(

I popped to my plot yesterday to drop off some kitchen waste in my composter. I only recently took over the plot and the former occupier, who still has the adjoining plot, has a pile of compost still on 'my' plot. I noticed that this now has a large hole at the base, which appears to lead to an underground hole.

Rats?

If he doesn't move it soon, I am going to incorporate it into my compost pile. He still has his bean and pea supports on my plot as well. Lazy whatsit is obviously hoping that I will dismantle them for him  :x
My other Forums Lambretta related

dade

Rats
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 17:31 »
yes rats are a big problem this year, we sell rat poison but have been unable to get any from our wholesalers for the last month as they have been sold out!

woodburner

Rats
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 18:00 »
Rodents appear to be very choosy when it comes to spuds. I'd put a trap down, except I'd be mortified if it killed the adorable dormouse/escaped gerbil? that I've seen in another shed. I've moved the spuds into the cold conservatory where I can keep a better eye on them all.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

peterjf

RATS
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 18:13 »
TRY A PEICE OF MARS BAR OR OTHER CHOCS , WORKS EVERY TIME ON OUR PLOTS IN HULL

rink123

Rats
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 00:14 »
I have had trouble with rats this year, i got some chickens great fun , and lots of eggs :D , but then came the rats  :(  ,under the shed rat dodo all over the place , so my chickens had to go  :(  , but the poison got rid of them rats, so no more chickens no more food left about and no more rats  :D  .

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Rats
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 06:29 »
Peter
I take it you mean using mars bars as bait on a rat trap not as a poison.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Rats
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 06:55 »
Leptospirosis (Weil's disease)

Anyone on here in contact with Rats just be carefull. If in doubt google the disease name and read up.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

woodburner

Rats
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 09:22 »
Quote from: "Stevens706"
Peter
I take it you mean using mars bars as bait on a rat trap not as a poison.

I dunno, they're pretty poisonous to my waistline. :tongue2:  :wink:  :roll:

Minty

• Experienced Member
Rats
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:57 »
You need a resident fox,we have loads on our allotment site and around where we live and have no problems with rats at all.
They do trample a few things and dig the odd hole after worms but thats a small price to pay to be ratless in my opinion.
I also let our little Staffy have the run of the plot whenever we are down there and she's becoming a really good ratter.

Christine

Rats
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 19:23 »
Things are a lot better on the allotment this year. Two of the pigeon fanciers have had a major war on rats and one of the chicken keepers who is not exactly hygienic has removed his birds. I've blocked all corners where the said rat might find shelter. The only thing that the vermin have found to eat is rat bait.

But it does require a concerted effort by all in the area to keep rats off allotments.

Oscar Too

Rats
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 20:21 »
Crikey, the rats on our allotments are the size of the foxes.  I think all the cats, rats and foxes have signed a Mutual Non-Aggression Treaty - they never seem to bother each other.

xx
Rats

Started by Mr Bean on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 14:13
by woodburner
xx
Rats?

Started by ferreter51 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 21:42
by loam ranger
xx
rats

Started by hoporus on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 09:18
by Livinhope
xx
Rats

Started by Diggerpete on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 21:20
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 38 queries.