Rats

• 28 Replies

deezkatz

• mud boots blogspot
Rats
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 10:23 »
Hi Mr Bean
Have you told Russell about the bait been moved!
I dont think he'd be too happy, he explained to me that the whole reason the bait is in the drain pipes is so no dogs or birds etc can get to it!

Doubt he'll be happy with that!
I'm not after reading that!
If they fed their chickens properly they wouldnt have half the problem were having now!
Dee

Mr Bean

Rats
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 10:37 »
Yes I've mailed Russell. When I went up last night a new pipe had been placed on the side of the track which I assume is a replacement for the pipe that was on the chicken plot.

Mr Bean

Rats
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 12:45 »
For anyone who's interested this is the reply I got from the council.

"In relation to your query, regarding Scott Road Allotments and issues
with vermin, I can confirm that the matter is the responsibility of the
Allotment Association, as per the lease agreement. They have been made
aware of this concern and have been given the contact details of
Kettering Borough Council's Environmental Health Dept, Pest Control.
(Tel 01536 410333). An alternative would be to contact a local private
firm, who maybe able to offer the required service."

Bob

Rats
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 22:01 »
I might be a bit late on this but in Northern Ireland, at least, legislation firmly places the responsibility of destruction on the owner of the property that the rat or mouse is occupying.  Essentially the rat becomes your property and responsibility.  The only thing the local authority is duty bound to do is investigate any public heath hazard which may be attracting the rats and can issue orders to deal with it. As you can expect, a lot of people aren't happy when they are told this.  My local council doesn't even provide a pest control service.

Mr Bean

Rats
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 16:40 »
Thank you Bob. I'm sure the situation is very similar to here in England. The rats are on the property of the Allotment Association and provided they don't present a health threat to the general public it's the responsibility of the Allotment Association to deal with it and to bear the cost. I don't have a problem with that, but never having had to deal with a situation like this before I needed to get to the bottom of where the responsibility lay.

Ultimately the council could put pressure on the Association to deal with it as there must be clauses in the lease which address this sort of thing.

To be fair to the Allotment Association they are now doing their bit to try and resolve it, and ultimately the allotment holders are the Association so we can't duck out of it we've got to pull together and sort it out.

It can be done but it means upsetting a lot of people with run down plots, dilapidated sheds, piles of old materials etc, and of course the keeping of birds and I'm not sure the will is there yet to sort that out.

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
Rats
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 12:17 »
From my experience each council interprets their responsibility to deal with rats differently so whereas one council may act quickly, efficiently and continually to stem the problems others will feel it's not high on their list of priorities (like their legal requirement to remove ragwort but that's another story and don't get me started on that!).

We have a rat problem as we also keep horses and our tack room/hay store is like heaven to them - they've even chewed through plastic fee bins and leather riding boots.  I've found that they're resistant to quite a few of the poisons on the market so I've now resorted to borrowing a friend's terrier who makes short work of them.  A live animal trap is another possibility - when you've caught them in the trap, dump the whole thing in a barrel of water and leave it for an hour or so.  

If you don't fancy dealing with a trap with a live rat in it, the traditional sprung loaded traps do work although rats can be extremely crafty about removing the bait without releasing the spring.  Put chocolate or toffee as the bait.  The latter is particularly good as rats love the sugary tast but have to pull quite hard to get it off the trap which in turn gives a better chance of the spring being released for the trap to go off.

PS.  Don't ever get into conversation with a professional rat catcher as they seem to be able to talk for England on the subject of rats!

Mr Bean

Rats
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 15:05 »
Thank you for that Novice. It sounds as if you've had a belly full of them. The situation here seems to have stabilised somewhat. I haven't seen any likely Rat damage since the bait was put down though those with guns say they are still shooting them. I don't fancy trapping the blighters so I'm going to set some bait of my own when the rat catcher has finished. I shall put it in a pipe as he does so that other animals can't get it. I'm also going to keep it tidy around the plot to try and deny them any cover or hiding places like under my shed and around the compost heap.

Mr Bean

Rats
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 15:17 »
I'm putting this in a seperate message as I've had all sorts of conversations about rat poison with various people and I want to try and put right what seems to be a general misconception. Feel free to correct me if anyone has superior knowledge.
As far as I know rat bait is all Warfarin. (If it says anti coagulant on the tin it's Warfarin) I know a bit about Warfarin as I take about 6mg a day myself and they explain it to you at the hospital before you start taking it. It's not actually a poison at all, it's a chemical that thins your blood by suppressing vitamin K which is the clotting agent. What thins my blood a little would kill a rat, or any small mammal (or a dog because they would scoff the lot) The beauty of it is they can never become immune to it. They can of course choose not to eat it, and perhaps some rats just don't fancy the taste, though mostly they lap it up and die later.

• Experienced Member
Rats
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 18:53 »
Mr Bean.  You're correct in saying that 'rat poison' isn't 'poison' in the normal sense in that it's actually an anti-coagulant.  

However, it is has been found that some rats are becoming immune to what is known as 'first generation anticoagulants' (crafty blighters) and so new 'second generation' anticoagulants are now being designed - Bromodiolone is one of the latter and is now what is used in Rentokil rat bait as opposed to Warfarin which is 'first generation'.  Difenacoum is another anitcoagulant that's used for bait - it's the one in Neosorexa Gold.  I think very few actually use warfarin.

Sorry - as you can see I'm becoming quite an expert on rat baits - almost as bad a professional rat catcher!

muntjac

Rats
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 22:01 »
gotta add this ,, poultry keepers are not just to blame  bad husbandry of any animal is also all gardens have compost bins and these are the main problem as far as accomodation for rats is concerned. rats would rather sleep in a compost bin than under a shed as it is natuarly warmer .bait stations all around the allotments  and under sheds in properly constructed tunnels is the right approach to thier extermination ( se rat tunnel in search facility )traps have thier uses but rats ( unless its  tv programme where they show rats on the surface for shock value) will die underground as all animals .including humans seek out quiet and comfort to die in warfarin works by thinning the rats blood to such an extent that if the animal gets a bruise or other problem the wound /liver will continue to bleed till its death internally any smal blood vessel can be affected by it .so if you want to rid the place of them .. pay out for rat bait .construct proper baiting stations . check traps reguarly for those victims and clear them away using a carrier bag to lift them turn this inside out with the rat inside and burn or dispose of properly ..

note . under legislation you have to check traps both morning and night to make sure no animal is suffering this includes rats or you can be prosecuted .. also traps can and do catch stoats and other animnals unless set correctly ,.on an allotment you have no rights to allow you to trap stoats or weasels unless they are attacking livestock.
still alive /............

Mr Bean

Rats
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 20:51 »
Thanks for your comments.

I'd hardly given rats a thought before but now I've just spent an evening trawling the internet learning about them! It's a bit worrying really.

I've taken what you've said on board and now I've got to keep my patch as clear as possible, and hope others do the same. I've had no more rat damage so fingers crossed they've been cut back a fair bit.

Good luck with your rats Novice.

• Experienced Member
Rats
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 09:10 »
I'm afraid rats will be an on going problem which will never be solved.  Talk about breeding like rabbits, rats are even worse.  I seem to remember hearing somewhere about them being pregnant with one batch and can then become pregnant with another litter before even giving birth!

Of course all this wet weather has pushed them out of ditches, drains etc and onto higher ground ie allotments, gardens, fields.

wotadarling

Re: Rats
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 10:03 »
Hi

On the topic of rats (again)  I am a new and enthusiastic domestic vegetable grower living in the city and growing in my back garden.  However, we have a large problem with rats and have tried the usual green wheat based poison pellets.  What are peoples opinions of the electrical devices - both the high pitched plug in kind and also the stand alone battery operated ones that electrocute the horrible varmints .....?????

woodburner

Re: Rats
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 14:13 »
Ugh!
Personally I wouldn't want to keep my chooks where there are so many rats! Aside from all the really nasty stuff, they take and eat eggs!
Part of the problem on your site is the feeding 'ad lib' that is so popular these days! ("Oh poor chooks, I couldn't leave them without food for the rest of the day.") Instead of measuring out and giving them only what they can eat in a few minutes, with a top up feed before bed time. Even a laying hen only needs about 4 oz a day.
One of my chicken keeping friends only feeds hers once a day and they are all healthy and lay well.
Peoples attitudes can be very hard to change though, and I think you are unlikely to get them to stop putting out excess feed.  :( 
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
RAts

Started by Ramsbury Allotments on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 17:28
by dugless
xx
Rats

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 21:21
by Paul Plots
xx
Rats and veg

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 21:53
by sunshineband
xx
Rats

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 21:43
by Minty

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 38 queries.