Bullying

• 9 Replies

stickywicket

Bullying
« on: June 29, 2008, 21:40 »
We have finally got our chickens, having waited months to get the ones we want which are a mixed bag of young bantams.

We kept them in for 24 hours and let them out into their small covered run this afternoon. We also have a larger run using 25m of electric netting but we have been advised to wait a week before allowing them into this larger area.

They seem fine and we are thrilled that they put themselves to bed tonight without any trouble at all and 2 of them were even on the perch when I peeked in. Amazing!

Anyway the only negative is that the largest of the 4 ( a sussex) is bullying the other 3, especially the smallest (a plymouth rock).  :cry:

Should I just ignore this for now (unless it gets very viscious) and hope that as the other 3 catch up in size and we let them into the bigger run that things will calm down or should I try and nip it in the bud. I have read that if you get hold of the bully and make her squat then this can help. Any advice please? :)

ness

• Experienced Member
Bullying
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 22:11 »
I believe from reading other posts on here that its normal in the first couple of weeks as they are establishing a pecking order.  But keep an eye on the level of bullying - like if its especially round food or water make sure there is couple of sources so the bullied don't lose out.  
I think if it is a persistant bullying problem it is an idea to remove the bully from the flock for a few days (still in sight of the others) and then re introduce and they should enter at the bottom of the pile.
Hope this makes sense
Ness x

Foxy

Bullying
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 22:17 »
Good advice from Ness.
What age are they? An older bird will bully the younger ones -but not too seriously.
Another question -why are you waiting a week before letting them out into the 25m electrified area? -particulary if they are already putting themselves to bed?
And -where are the pics?? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

stickywicket

Bullying
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:53 »
Thanks for the advice

I was told by the breeder that the older sussex (the bully) is about 8 weeks from coming into lay. The other sussex and australorp are a bit smaller and don't get picked on as much as the plymouth who is quite a bit smaller.

We have just let them out and the bully seemed less aggressive (they all managed to take some water together) but was still having a few pecks. :evil:  I have warned her that I will show her the oven if she doesn't change her ways!

I have some pics on my camera but haven't managed to download them yet. I've got some great video of them coming down their ramp as well : :lol: .

The breeder told me to keep them in the covered run for a week. I am also a bit concerned about the smallest as we have a lot of jackdaws around at the momemt. Would they try to take her? My daughter would be very upset if anything happened to her as this one is her chook.

Foxy

Bullying
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:26 »
Jacdaws may take nestlings, dont think they would take a grower tho-should be safe as long they aren't bantams. Sounds like they are about 10 -12 weeks old?
Watchout if you have buzzards or sparrowhawks, I've never had a problem but only have large fowl chicks and growers as my bantams are fully grown although small, pekins and austrolorp bantams.

Nats

Bullying
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 20:16 »
Definitely don't worry yet, one of mine bullied the others for 3 weeks before it settled down, now we don't have a single problem.

They sort it out between themselves, though it does seem to go on for a bit!

ness

• Experienced Member
Bullying
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 20:45 »
I have to say I was surprised at the level of violence chooks are prepared to use against each other. :(

stickywicket

Bullying
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:17 »
Thanks for the advice.

I now how another worry. :roll:  I think one of the birds has a sore back near the base by its tail. I have noticed another chook keeps having a peck at it near this spot. I only caught a glimpse so maybe its just where its moulted some feathers and is growing some new ones. I tried to catch it to have a look but just ended up stressing the bird and myself. Should I just leave it alone and hope it settles down? But I've read that once chickens draw blood they will keep on pecking at it :(  This bird also seems to like going into the house and sitting on the perch during the day and I think it has some runny poo. It does seem healthy otherwise!

Also I've noticed that they sometimes seem to do this sort of yawn as if they are going to try and crow but don't make any sound. Is this normal?

Sorry to be so paranoid but I'm new to all this !

ness

• Experienced Member
Bullying
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 12:52 »
Again from reading other poeples advice on here (not yet had experience of this myself) I believe the least stressfull time to look at a wound is after bedtime when they are all sleepy.  I've heard of a "purple spray" that can be used on a wound which disguises colour and prevents infection ( think you can get it from horse shops).
The yawning thing could be gapeworm?  Its ok if they do the "yawning" thing on occasion but if it does seem to be a regular occurance they it might be an idea to worm them (flubenvet?)
I think this is covered in the poultry info bit.
Hope this helps
Ness

Aunt Rhody

Bullying
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:33 »
Hi there
Aunt Rhody back again.
We've now had the girls with us 11 days. It's winter solstice here so the poor things have had a pretty miserable entry to the coastal life. It's been howling gales and horizontal rain more than a couple of times. Poor things

But...they do seem to love it here and I wasn't expecting this but we've had an egg a day except for two days. Only one is old enough to lay and that's the Rhode Island. The brown shavers are our bullies. They have taken a particular dislike to the little black orpington and the silkie. It's not out of hand though.
I have cute photo but not had time to upload them. I'm run off my claws... I mean feet! They eat like billy - o too. By crikey they can pack it in.
Cheers
Aunt Rhody
Ka kite from Aunt Rhody

xx
bullying between two!

Started by Nats on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 18:49
by peggyprice
xx
Bullying

Started by cejx on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 18:45
by cejx
xx
bullying

Started by happyclucker on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 13:22
by joyfull
xx
Bullying hen

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 17:22
by Frizzle1

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.