Letter to Parish Council advice please

• 11 Replies

drypulse

Letter to Parish Council advice please
« on: January 06, 2012, 20:20 »
Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but wasn't sure what it would come under. I got a new plot, and I want to put a shed and a pond on it, nothing extreme, just somewhere to store tools and take a break and a pond not very deep, less than 5 foot circumference say.

My contract says I need express written permission from the council, I tried writing a draft letter, but I wasn't sure if I needed to state exact location, dimensions etc for shed and pond? Has anyone else done this?

Any thanks appreiciated as always, Joe

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Letter to Parish Council advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 20:36 »
Our shed permission form asks whether it is a new or second hand structure, what it's made out of, dimensions, and confirmation that there won't be a permanent base (i.e. concreted in).  A brief sketch of its location on the plot in the letter would assist if you are going to print it off and post it rather than email it.

As for the pond, again I would give details of dimensions and, if mentioned in your agreement, details of any protection against people falling in if it's near a path which others will be using.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 20:42 »
You should let them know the size and perhaps include a drawing of the plot of where they would be located - it would give the council an idea if the structures would affect neighbouring plots (that is, too close to a boundary or cast a shadow)  If they want more precise locations to the inch, then they can always come back to you for more information.  

Some councils are very strict about erecting of structures on plots, but some are a bit more relaxed about it, and then there are some where it used to be okay but will only allow existing tenants to keep the ones they have but future replacements may be limited (eg size) ... I think it's a case of asking and seeing what they say  :)

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 22:34 »
My plot is on a parish council site and we too have to ask for written permission to errect a shed, keep hens/bees etc. I got the impression from the Clerk, when he originally showed me round the site, that it was just a formality that prevents folk going a bit mad and keeps things fair and within reason. 

Obviously every council is different but I can't imagine you need to worry too much about how to present your letter. The advice given just now is great and I'm sure if you explain in very simple terms (don't complicate things) with the possibility of a basic diagram and dimensions you'll be fine.

Best of luck. x x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 23:52 »
I would keep information to a minimum. If they need to know more they will ask.

Dear Sir,

Allotment 23, Wallington Allotments

May I have permission from the Parish Council to erect a garden shed (8ftx6ft) on my allotment and to make a small wildlife pond.

Yours faithfully

Drypulse

drypulse

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 19:18 »
thank you all for your advice, I think I will have a go and write one tonight and let you know how i get on :)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 19:23 »
Great letter Salmo... just keep to minimum.. Ours have to apply as well just as a formality to make sure people dont go overboard with massive sheds.. max is 8'x8'..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 20:14 »
Make sure you put wildlife pond anything like our council they love the sound of anything green

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 16:55 »
 :D  :D

gobs

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 19:50 »
Our shed permission form asks whether it is a new or second hand structure, what it's made out of, dimensions, and confirmation that there won't be a permanent base (i.e. concreted in).  A brief sketch of its location on the plot in the letter would assist if you are going to print it off and post it rather than email it.

As for the pond, again I would give details of dimensions and, if mentioned in your agreement, details of any protection against people falling in if it's near a path which others will be using.

That's the real info, all the rest of stuff is not in compliance with the law. You can erect anything without anybody's permission, that is not a permanent structure, ie. can be removed within 24 hrs.

Of course, it is good to be friends, on the other hand and try to fit in. If most on your location/allotment site decided, that sheds can be only so and so, you need to follow suit. ( not by any law)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 19:54 by gobs »
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

drypulse

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 15:20 »
Hi got my letter back today. I got permission for my shed, but not for my pond unfortunately. Apparently in 2009 they decided against letting anyone else get a pond and all existing must be filled in when that person leaves their plot. Not too disappointed though, thanks for all your help on that one!

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 15:31 »
Well done with the shed.

I can see their point with the pond. Allotments are there for people to grow produce.

Also there is always a risk of small children drowning, even in a tiny pond. Such incidents hit the press all too frequently and are always tragic. I would guess their lawyers would say no.

xx
Parish Council handbook on running allotments from 1951

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 19:14
by horsepooisgood
xx
Got my letter from the Council about the allotment

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 09:01
by fatbelly
xx
parish borough alloments

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 19:21
by lincspoacher
xx
Letter G day what can Florence grow today

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 06:40
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.