newbiegrower

freezing herbs
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:00 »
I have heard that fresh herbs can be frozen but I was wondering how to do this
by the time i am old and grey i might be 100% organic

dawninspain

freezing herbs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 13:37 »
My method which has worked so far is, for example with parsley, is to wash it, pat dry on kitchen paper and chop it up as you would do before adding it to a casserole or say a pan of drained potatoes as a garnish,  then pack it into icecube trays, freeze and when frozen turn the cubes out into a plastic bag which you store in the freezer.  

To use - the cubes can be added frozen directly to casseroles etc or for cooked vegetables defrost beforehand and then add to the hot vegetables so that the residual heat warms the parsley or whatever through.

This will work with most leafy herbs eg parsley, mint, basil etc. Although once frozen though they would not be at their best in salads etc.

Good luck, Dawn

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
freezing herbs
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 16:17 »
I don't freeze them often, but sometimes I just put the cleaned herbs in a little plastic bag.  Freeze them whole, then when frozen, just crush the herbs in the bag.  My chives I do normally chop first then put them into a small magarine tub.  they don't very often stick together, but if they do, I just shake the tub about (with the lid on!) and they unstick!!!!

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
freezing herbs
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 17:14 »
Yup i don't bother chopping either, grannie. Freezing only works very well for leafy herbs. Woody herbs are better off being dried usually as that increases their flavour. Leafy herbs just go blah when dried.

Woody herbs would be, sage, rosemary, thyme.

Leafy herbs would be nearly everything else, stuff like parsley, leaf coriander, chervil, basil, i guess chives too... my chives survive winter so I don't think to freeze'em. I do take the larger stems out since they don't shatter so well when frozen, at least in the case of basil.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

xx
New Herbs

Started by tosca100 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 09:38
by granjan
xx
herbs

Started by tosca100 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 17:21
by sunshineband
xx
Herbs

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 07:40
by joyfull
xx
re freezing

Started by flitwickone on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 19:46
by Trillium

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 38 queries.