Price of orpingtons!

• 9 Replies

asd1

• Experienced Member
Price of orpingtons!
« on: August 25, 2011, 09:25 »
A while back I got my mum two lovely buff orpingtons (pol) after she lost one of her bantams, they were £15 each. My other half really wants us to get some to join or flock but everyone is selling then for £35 or more even at just 16 weeks old! Is this just the price of them now?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Price of orpingtons!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:32 »
all pure breeds usually sell for £25 upwards for point of lay (and this can be anything from 14 weeks upwards) depending on quality (show or general), colour, breed, scarcity and location. If I really wanted a particular breed and colour and a good example then I would be prepared to pay that for them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 22:04 »
Ive even noticed that over here, the prices charged for chooks in the small ads are ridiculous. I was hoping to get a couple of "different" chooks when I restart my henhouse, nothing too exotic, maybe a Brahma and an Orpie, but they charge between 20-30 euros over here, and around 15€ for what I call ordinary chooks.
Luckily, our actual breeder where we get our "ordinary" girls from charges around 8€ each, and 13€ for cockerals. They are POL supposedly, although each time Ive bought them, Ive had to wait longer and longer for them to start doing the bizzo!

Its just lucky that Ive found myself a supplier of great free range eggs, who is very reasonable, and is now what I consider to be a good friend, so good can come from bad!

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 22:30 »
theres 1 guy in kent selling orpingtons over £70 lol
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 20:47 »
I know breeders still have to make money and I would pay up to £25 for them each but when I'm looking at getting just two and it adds up to £70 I just can't justify that for a non show type pet hen

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:33 »
Is this place near enough to travel to asd1?
http://www.cockerdoodlequack.co.uk/ 

I was looking around on Preloved and they have a post on there saying they are having a sale today as they are relocating.

Preloved is quite a useful way to find birds.  You will find a lot of smaller scale backyard breeders on there who might be a bit more reasonable.  I bought some lovely birds this way  :)

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:09 »
Now we were at a chicken place yesterday. Very nice, clean pens, helpful staff. All looks new. Large fowl Orpingtons up to £95 each! Jubilee was the most expensive I think.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 19:22 »
Blimey I have three Jubilees here and I bought them as chicks at £5 each last year!!

Might have to get a cockerel as well if they are selling for that much!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 14:18 »
You can get a trio of buff Orpingtons fromSouthampton for £45. They are on preloved.
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

boosmummy

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 15:17 »
i was just talking to mr husband about this, i wanted one and they are selling for £60 around here, theres no chance!!  :ohmy: :ohmy:

xx
Orpingtons.

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 21:22
by JaK
xx
How soon can you tell the sex of Buff Orpingtons?

Started by tracy66 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 12:34
by Helenaj
xx
2 new buff orpingtons

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 18:59
by Honeysuckle
xx
Bantam Orpingtons?

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:11
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.