introducing foodsthanks

• 3 Replies

bullielover

introducing foodsthanks
« on: January 22, 2011, 14:19 »
Hi
I have 3x 12 wk old chickens which are on grower pelletts. I have been giving them greens such as cooked beans and flat leaf parsley which they seem to enjoy but should I just be keeping them on the growers only until they are a little older. I,ve noticed a couple of yellow coloured stools in their pen but they all appear to be active and healthy.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: introducing foodsthanks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 15:20 »
I would keep them on growers for another couple of weeks then start to introduce layers by mixing the two feeds together gradually increasing the amount of layers until that is all they are on. Also don't forget to include grit and crushed oyster shells in seperate containers.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 16:46 »
You can actually keep them on growers right up until they lay their first egg, so you don't have to worry about having half a sack of growers left ;)

If they have grit and oystershell available (this should be available now) you can start intruducing a very small amount of mixed corn.  I prefer it if the mix has mais concassé in it rather than whole kernels. Er, concassé is crushed/chopped (sorry, I keep muddleing French and English!)

For three hens about an egg cup full (between three) is quite sufficient, and sprinkle it on the ground to encourage them to scratch about... do this in the evening so that they have had enough growers during the day to fulfill nutrient requirements.

Don't worry too much about the mustard coloured stools.  They will probably be cecal stools, which occur once every 12-15 "noram" stools.  They can be very smelly.  Check out the "poo pictures"  I'll just go and find the link for you...

Found it:  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 16:48 by Casey76 »

bullielover

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 18:38 »
 :) Thank you all so, much that has been really helpful

catherine

xx
re introducing

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 21:46
by goosebusters75
xx
Introducing new hen...

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 15:34
by bantam novice
xx
Introducing new chooks

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 10:50
by danfinn1
xx
introducing a new chicken

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 19:49
by oborne27

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 40 queries.