Do your girls sing and purr? :-)

• 21 Replies

nzdunn

Re: Do your girls sing and purr? :-)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 10:01 »
i to love hearing them when they have gone into roost, its a very humbling sound isnt it.  I dont think my girlies like the fact that the days are getting shorter, especially cassie who is always last to bed, she clings on to the last specks of light pecking at the grass frantically or filling up on pellets shes very funny to watch.   Cassie infact is the chorus girl of them all, i believe shes constantly posted as a watchout, if i walk into the garden and they havnt seen me and then they do at last minute she lets out this almighty 'cluck cluck' sound, thats my favourtie.  Nickyx

too many girls

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 10:22 »
Leroy comunicates with me, he asks me everyday "where are the mealworms?" :lol:

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 15:44 »
Yes I certainly think chx are a lot more intellegent than people give them credit for.   They do adopt specific roles within their community.  I once had a mixed flock of Light and Buff Sussex and it was always one particular buff who was the guard chicken.  When danger threatened in the form, for example, of our cat she would run out to meet it making a hell of a row and the rest would cower behind.  Then one day she was taken by a fox though I suspect she did her job until the end and the rest escaped.  The next chicken to take on this role was another buff and sadly she met a similar fate, so that was the end of their entirely free ranging lifestyle.  After that they lived within an electric net and have survived without mishap since.

Either the buff's self sacrifice was a complex communication to say "we'd like a nice safe electric net please!" or it just goes to prove that foxes prefer the brown ones best!  :wacko:

Regards
Truth through science.

grumpydad

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 18:36 »
our little buff rock bantam is the one that is usually the first to sound the alarm, maybe because she is smaller she is more alert, she certainly purrs if i go in the shed as there are treats in there. the other wyandottes, are just head down scratching, far too busy to be bothered by looking in the sky, but they are the loudest over laying an egg.

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 11:41 »
What a good idea, a dictionary of chicken calls.  What do you think it means when they purr the humming chorus from Madam Butterfly??

They're a particularly cultured bunch ?  :tongue2:

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 21:03 »
 :D I Love this post,I too love to listen outside the coop when they have been "popped", a wonderful chuntering and whispering , Goodnight Johnboy ?? Ju XX

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 22:01 »
When I listen to mine talking softly I swear I can almost understand what they are saying to each other.  They really do have close relationships!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
Ive got new girls.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 16:28
by NormandyMary
xx
My New Girls

Started by WoodyK on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 17:53
by NormandyMary
xx
Think one of my girls is ill :-(

Started by Lmo25 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 11:36
by Lmo25
xx
Wet Girls!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:04
by Sparr0wman

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 35 queries.