Do you grow something new each year?

• 43 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Do you grow something new each year?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 21:30 »
Watercress in an old stone sink this year.

Melons, just to find out how far I can push my luck with my first-ever greenhouse, and sweet potatoes because I was feeling left out of Trillium's "sweet potato" threads!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

witchwoopiggy

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 21:37 »
new things im trying here are tall peas, chilli and a few diffrent tomatoes oh and pepers , dont expect much to go right as pretty new to gardening but im enjoying it  :D

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 21:55 »
Practically everything is new for me, because we only started our garden last year, and it was too late in the season to do much.

But I'm looking forward to growing varieties and types of veggies that you can't get in the shops. I did get some swiss chard, kohl rabi and land cress in last year, and will do them again.

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 22:19 »
It's only my second proper year, so a lot is new to me, but things I'm trying for the first time in addition to last year are:
Brussels Sprouts (red and green)
Red Cabbage
Yellow Pear Tomatoes, Beefsteak tomatoes
Sweetheart Melon

And I've not sown them yet, but I will be trying minipop sweetcorn, florence fennel for the area after my spuds come out, some ugly looking white courgettes, petty pan squash (moonbeam) and a pumpkin.

There's probably more ... 
::)

Gandan57

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 23:16 »
I`m trying celeriac and swiss chard to see if they pass the OH`s taste test.

I grew squashes two years ago, but that was a big no no.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 00:50 »
Trying just 3 pink fir apple potatoes this year to go along with my charlotte.  Tried them as exclusive variety 3 years ago but the whole lot got wiped out by blight. Hope to get a taste at least - are they really as good as many peolple say?
John

gillie

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 07:55 »
I am growing sea kale this year, the seed as just germinated.  I always choose at least one new tomato variety and I am going to have a go at grafting a few of my heritage varieties.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23 »
I do try to grow a few things I have never grown before: this year I am growing kale, kumquats and spaghetti squash

Last year I tried asaparagus peas instead of the usual peas (which I always found to a bit tedious as a vegetable but grew them as partner loves them). Never again: they looked pretty but were really a most unpleasant flavour. I thought it was just me, and a neighbour gave me some of hers: still vile. 

BabbyAnn

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 09:11 »
Interesting to read about the asparagus pea as it was something I'd like to try one day.  I have several "experiments" every year, from trying out new varieties (including what supermarket dried pulses or saved seed from produce will grow), new types of crops from proper suppliers, soil preparation techniques, planting and growing methods.  If they are failures, I just look at it as experience, and if I don't like what I've grown, then I won't be growing them again. 

This year I'm definitely going all out to grow melons - for the life of me I cannot get to grips with them and yet usually I do very well with cucumbers, courgettes, summer squashes and winter squashes.  So this is the year that will decide whether I ever try again.  New crops/varieties for this year - parsley roots, yin yan beans, borlotti beans, Willemsburger swede, Almero leeks and lots of different winter squash and 5 different melon varieties (surely at least one of them has to do well!!)  :lol:

Debz

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 09:15 »
I am getting to try growing lots of new things because I am looking after my sister's raised beds.  I am growing cauli's, romanesco, brocolli, brussel sprouts, and golden beetroot.  I always try a new tomato variety each year too.

bigben

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 11:47 »
Trying far too many types of chilli - will not have room for them all if they come up. Also trying tomatillos and a new type of squash.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 18:26 »
Peppers, okra, squash and a giant pumpkin (fingers crossed).

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 19:15 »
Long pink banana squash & tomatoes that are supposed to look like strawberries :)

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 20:49 »
So many things I've never heard of, so many ideas :D what type of tomatoes look like strawberries?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 21:10 »
Well having got sucked into the Victoriana Nursery website after a delve through the weird and wonderful from The Real Seed Company I have a host of oddities to try - chinese celery (dwarf so can be pot grown), a type of burdock grown in Italy as a veg and Achocha which looks like a mini spiny cucumber but tastes (aparently) like green peppers when fried.  I'm such a sucker for novelty  ::)  :lol:

xx
New (to you) veg you grew last year which you will/will not grow again this year

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 12:22
by rowlandwells
xx
What shall I grow this year?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 12:57
by andreadon
xx
What to grow now for later and next year

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 05:12
by DD.
xx
What are you not going to grow next year?

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post October 01, 2016, 17:51
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 34 queries.