What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

ptarmigan

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 10:07 »
Went up for an hour to check roof still on shed and tidy up windbreak around asparagus bed.  Looked for spade to clear off woodchip from paths to replace - but to be honest was quite a half hearted look as it was very cold. Went home, had bath and had a nap for 2 hours.  Virus-y thing.

Aled

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2015, 10:24 »
Put a pile of woodash on the plot, probably the last lot as apparently if i put on too much the soil can become o acidic.
Cheers
Aled

beesrus

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2015, 16:59 »
Snap Aled  :) I put a couple of bags of wood ash today under the raspberries/fruit etc.
Postponed  work as the day's weather was too good to miss, given decent windows are few and far between this time of year. So more digging and general soil attention that will give me a bit of leaway should the weather turn foul like last year, or any other misfortune.
And..... I actually harvested the first PSB today, not a huge amount, and really shocked at it's early appearance.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2015, 20:09 »
Built two new shelves for the seedlings in the greenhouse. Moved the log store and cut back all the raspberry canes. The new plot is coming on well now. Oh bought my seed spuds and put them in the chitting room.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2015, 20:36 »
Shook the ash from my last fire round the redcurrants and on the strawberries. Tidied the dead leaves off a third of the strawberries and added them to the slow compost dalek. Need to remember to add some manure to it to help it all rot down speedily. Lots of standing water on the plot and lots of ice sheets on the top of the puddles. My sown-far-too-early broad beans are all now lying on the ground.

Yana

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 14:13 »
Thought I was going to have a go at pruning Blackcurrant bushes after learning how to do it at college yesterday (RHS practical course). What a shock when what I actually did was to walk around the whole site with a couple of fellow plot holders taking pictures of sheds that had been broken into overnight!!!! Didn't appear to be anything stolen from them (tools still in the sheds), but then we don't know what each shed had in it in the first place.
Seems like a mindless act of vandalism but so many sheds were tampered with .... 10 in total.
Tried to cheer up by digging leeks and parsnips for tea and moving a few freebie pallets to the plot that were left in the car park for anyone.
Will spend this afternoon reporting to the local police and see what happens.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 20:31 »
Oh Yana, so very sorry for you  :mad:  don't let a bad thing steal your joy.

Glorious day- popped down after a meeting in my posh gear with a hot-cup of coffee I grabbed for a 5 mins check....sod the housework- Manure day!  Yay  :D 

Strange but it's never been delivered in bags before- but so much better for my back than all that forking in and out the wheelbarrow.
.....2 hours later (in shed wellies and fleece) I'd weeded and tidied the brassicas, dug over 2 beds, 6 bags stashed away.

snowdrops

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 20:50 »
Yana, very sorry you've had to put up with this, makes my heart sink every time I hear of this happening to someone :(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yana

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 21:15 »
Paid a quick visit to the lottie early today, hoping no more damage done. Seems that whomever broke into the sheds didn't return last night. Police were due to visit this morning (I couldn't be there) so will catch up with the guys at the lottie tomorrow.
A few of us invested in wildlife-type cameras earlier in the year when soft fruit thefts were at their peak. Looks like it's time to get it out again. I'm trying to be positive, but it has definitely shaken everyone up.  :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 21:17 »
Horrible for you Yana, am really sorry.  :(

jmc1949

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 21:20 »
Sorry to hear about the break in Yana

This morning I started to build a cold frame in a sheltered area with dappled shade. Emptied a compost bin and put the lovely compost into a raised bed. Also dug up the last of the parsnips.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2015, 08:55 »
Yama, sorry to hear of another allotment having similar problems to what we went through last year!
Personally, our shed did not get broken into but several others on our allotments did, we were not affected but it was still a torrid time for everyone. The cameras do work though, two of our plot holders set them up after the break ins and they caught four local youths breaking into other sheds a couple of weeks later! They were found to have been the original culprits by fingerprint recognition :)

On a brighter note, we dismantled and collected our new greenhouse from its old home yesterday :)
We will install it on the plot next month after I have laid a base down for it.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26 »
Florence and daddy went up the hill had a few hours tidying up, need some bark for the path ways on the bottom.

Yana

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2015, 19:54 »
Police didn't turn up on thursday..... Or Friday. However I got a phone call at 7.30pm Saturday night asking why I wasn't there to meet with them. We had a telephone discussion and agreed it wasn't worth it as it was too dark to see anything.
Spent this morning helping some plot holders repair their sheds and planning the new communal area.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2015, 20:10 »
Police didn't turn up on thursday..... Or Friday. However I got a phone call at 7.30pm Saturday night asking why I wasn't there to meet with them. We had a telephone discussion and agreed it wasn't worth it as it was too dark to see anything.
Spent this morning helping some plot holders repair their sheds and planning the new communal area.

Where did all the common sense go.  :nowink: 7.30pm in jan honestly what a waste of time.
Horrible when break ins happen, I think we escaped last year but the year before was almost weekly

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 39 queries.