bright red bottoms

• 5 Replies

matilda duck

bright red bottoms
« on: August 27, 2009, 13:25 »
My girls have had chicken lice and have been treated accordingly.
 There house is sprayed with poultry shield at least once a week and diatom is used about once a month.
The girls have been going through a bit of a moult......their first one and so they have no petticoats.  The chickens themselves are fine and are eating and drinking and being chickens.........BUT they have bright red bottoms.  Not as thought they have been pecked and they have not bled but, they are bright red.....
Should I be looking for something?????  As far as I can tell we don't have red mites and I'm still treating for lice just incase ::)
Any ideas???

nzdunn

Re: bright red bottoms
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 14:06 »
i read on here maltida duck that thats just the colour of the skin, try searching moult on here i was reading about it the other day and it mentions the bright red skin colour being normal.   nickyx

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 18:18 »
One of our ex batts is a bit lacking in the undies dept, and sometimes, I swear, her backside glows!
Very worried about it at first, but it does seem to be normal.  Perhpas something to do with her temperature.  Does see a little more ruby when she's been laying. Then it will calm down to a more ladylike dainty pink.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 20:36 »
I always have a few hens with very bold and red bottoms.  These are my best layers and never fail to lay each day.  I think the feathers get a mixture of rubbed off by sitting laying in nest box and they tend not to grow back untill they go off lay.  Could be to avoid overheating in the laying area but thats my theory!
mrs.ploppy

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 22:26 »
Two of my baldy batts have bright red bottoms too. I worried at first but they have thrived and none of the others seem at all concerned regarding pecking etc.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 03:39 »
Hi MD. we have ex-batts like flowerpot. Some of them are a bit....erm...featherless around their bottoms and they are also bright red  :ohmy:. it must be the colour of their skin as mine are fine  :D. even the ones that are getting frilly knickers have red skin. i know they dont have mites/lice, and they are feeding/drinking/playing etc .  they look very funny when its just their bottoms sticking up from the pumpkin plants tho he he he

xx
Bright red bum!

Started by cejx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 12:24
by Helenaj
xx
bright green poo

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 07:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
baldy bottoms

Started by debsiwood on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 15:00
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Dirty bottoms!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 10:30
by HENrietta

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 35 queries.