Wine kits

• 9 Replies

kegs

Wine kits
« on: October 09, 2011, 19:23 »
Can anyone recommend a really easy make of sauvignon blanc wine kit for a novice.  My husband bought one but hasn't enjoyed making it (he loved the beer making kit) due to the number of processes involved.  He keeps mumbling about racking off but he could be moaning at me about something completely different!  ::)

Growster...

Re: Wine kits
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 21:50 »
Yup!!

Advice is to read the instructions, do the work, and, stop complaining...

(But you'll have to tell him, won't you...!;0)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 13:01 »

Wait untill he starts making wine from the fruits of the hedgerow and has to trudge miles, get wet feet and prickled/nettled.   :ohmy:   Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 14:16 »
But it doesn't sound as if he's liking it as a hobby though, does it ;)

kegs

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 15:06 »

Wait untill he starts making wine from the fruits of the hedgerow and has to trudge miles, get wet feet and prickled/nettled.   :ohmy:   Cheers,    Tony.

He has started already and doesn't mind that part.  So the brand new shed we bought to house the tools in our garage (which is where I want our chicks to go!) now seems to be full of cider, quince wine, barrels of beer, cherry plum wine, demi johns, empty bottles, syphons and a cider press!!! etc etc etc.  My only consolation was the thought of a nice glass of sauvignon which unfortunately tastes of lemons !!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 20:13 »
Actually Tony, the elderberries we picked for five gals have not produced a wine of much quality, it has in fact been rather insipid, and all this despite a lot of TLC and head scratching (not into the wine I assure you...)

So it's back to the dried elderberries, as they can do wonders with six rolling boilings, and enough for five gals of rich, fruity red wine, that you can drink pretty soon afterwards if you follow the recipe!

bearhugger1972

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 22:18 »
Actually Tony, the elderberries we picked for five gals have not produced a wine of much quality, it has in fact been rather insipid, and all this despite a lot of TLC and head scratching (not into the wine I assure you...)

So it's back to the dried elderberries, as they can do wonders with six rolling boilings, and enough for five gals of rich, fruity red wine, that you can drink pretty soon afterwards if you follow the recipe!
Admittedly i am a noob to homebrewing but i was under the impression you had to leave elderberries for a minimum of six months once bottled and the taste would greatly improve from a year onwards of bottling. Only asking cos i have about 4kg of berries in the freezer waiting ...  ???
Work is for those who don't know how to garden

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:10 »
Here's the link Bear!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=77564.0

We've made hundreds of gallons of this over the years, and always drunk it very young. In fact, it doesn't improve much over the months anyway.

bearhugger1972

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 14:35 »
Looks (and sounds) like a tasty brew, thanks for the link.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 20:55 »
Looks (and sounds) like a tasty brew, thanks for the link.

Well worth a pop Bear, the vey best of luck! It takes only a couple of hours max to make, and just belts away once youve given it a good yeast starter-bottle to think about!

We had one which started immedietely once, but they're not always that good; it usually takes a day to get a big bubble every 5 or 7 seconds, which is fine.

The longest fermentation time is about a month, but the norm is probably three weeks or so, and you'll be tasting it, and then drinking it a week later!

In fact, the empty glass in front of me just reminds me...

;0)

xx
Wine kits

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 18:29
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Wine Kits

Started by Riala on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 18:56
by Yabba
exclamation
Wilko's own wine kits

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 08:22
by pepsi100
question
Better brew 7 day wine kits

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 11:39
by grinling

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.