Do I need to separate from the others?

• 6 Replies

maggiem

Do I need to separate from the others?
« on: June 15, 2010, 21:47 »
Hi My broody is sitting on 4 eggs just now they are due to hatch within the next 5 days. This is the first time I have had any hatch (hopefully) and at the moment she is sitting on the eggs in one of the nest boxes. When they hatch should I move them and Mum to a separate area or will they be okay in the hen house which also houses 6 other hens and a cockerel. Should I section off an area around her nest box maybe with some chicken wire so that she can still see the rest of the girls? Sorry if this sounds like a daft question but like I say this is the first time that any of our hens has sat on eggs. Thanks, Maggie

themagicaltoad1

Re: Do I need to separate from the others?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 22:12 »
You need to move her to a broody house where she and her chicks are safe away from the other birds, they will attack and kill the chicks. Move her now before they hatch and let her see you moving the eggs. A lot of people use a rabbit hutch as a broody house. just make sure she has food and water in there. You'll need to make a separate run for them to use for a while, and have some chick crumbs ready. The water dish needs to be very shallow as the chicks can easily drown. I'm sure someone else will give you more advice. Don't disturb her for 24 hrs before they are due to hatch.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 22:15 by themagicaltoad1 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 22:18 »
if you don't have a proper chick drinker and are using a shallow dish make sure you put pebbles or marbles in to help stop the chicks from drowning.
Staffies are softer than you think.

maggiem

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 22:21 »
Thanks for the info magicaltoad. I knew I needed a separate run for them all later but wasn't sure about when they first hatched out. We have a little hen house which has never been used yet. Do you think that this would do? If not will need to rattle something up tomorrow morning. Thankyou joyfull, we have a chick drinker but this is a very handy tip to know.

maggiem

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:36 »
Got straight on with it this morning. Mrs. Hen is now safely inside the small hen house in a separated area. I was  worried she wouldn't take too kindly to being moved but she didn't bat an eyelid. Fingers crossed now that her eggs will hatch. Thankyou for your help as always. Maggie

greenun

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:53 »
If your not laying at the moment it's best you go back to the house. :D :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:18 »
The mum will take them out into the run a couple of days after they've hatched. Make sure they are safe from attacking crows and magpies who will happily carry them off. Don't forget to post pics when they put in an appearance. :D

xx
When Will Mum Be Ready to Separate?

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 16:13
by joyfull
xx
Keeping chicks and hen separate

Started by valgrace on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 20:57
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 33 queries.