Tylan-quite upset about this!

• 6 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
Tylan-quite upset about this!
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:32 »
 I was given Tylan injectable for my poorly chucks last week.My friend ,who wasn't supposed to be looking after the chickens(my muddle)ate one of the eggs not knowing that they had been on antibiotics.So I contacted the vets to find out about possible side effects (they weren't much help)then the drug company who were very nice and said that it isn't even licensed for chickens :ohmy: and shouldn't  be used!it will cause permanent muscle wastage.I am upset for my friend and my chickens!has anyone else used the injectable form?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Tylan-quite upset about this!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:59 »
sorry to read about that, my vet has always only prescribed Aureomycin for my chickens and then to be administered in water. However I do know quite a few vets prescribe Tylan but not sure which method they prescribe it in (injection or water). When the vet gave this Tylan did you have to sign to acknowledge that it wasn't licensed for poultry (I have to do this with frontline)?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:09 »
no ,I didn't

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:18 »
I would go back to your vets and tell them what the manufacturer has said, it is still prescibed in America for injections and water soluble but their licensing laws are different (have just googled this so hope it's correct). However they do advise a withdrawel period of 1 month after treatment with this. Perhaps your friend should go to their GP as well armed with all this information and the tylan container just to put their mind at ease.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:08 »
Try not to worry, most things we use for our chucks havent been tested!, Im sure the minute amout that could be present in an egg will not harm your friend otherwise the manufactor would have suggested getting urgent medical help!!! i know this drug is given with good effect to chucks, and they are all fit and healthy ;)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:10 »
My vet advises a LIFETIME ban wth baytril, and who follows that?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 14:03 »
There are many meds that are not licensed for specific animal use as the drug company cannot be bothered going to the expence of all the testing to prove that it is safe and effective in evert group of animals if it is not going to be cost effective for them. It doesn't mean that it won't work or wil do your chicken harm.
I agree that the dose you would get in a couple of eggs would be very small so wouldn't worry about your friend.

In the table I found there was not actually any withdrawal period for eggs with tylan.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

question
Tylan

Started by uktitan on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 01:39
by hillfooter
xx
eggs and tylan

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 22:44
by jobson336
xx
tylan dosage

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 22:32
by jhub
xx
Tylan & egg withdrawal

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:25
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 33 queries.