new mom hen being attacked by 'sisters' - advice?

• 5 Replies

newchic

new mom hen being attacked by 'sisters' - advice?
« on: September 05, 2009, 20:11 »
We have 3 cochin hens, bought together as 1st year layers about 4mths a go. Wasn't long (being cochins, no surprise I guess) before 1 went broody. We eventually got some eggs in and she's done a marvelous job hatching them. Before all this happened she was the dominant hen.

5 weeks later, she's outdoors everyday with the chics in a run separated from the other 2 (has been for a few weeks), the others hadn't paid much attention other than occasionally eye-ing the chic crumbs on the other side of the wire... Today, we decided to give the new family more space and put up a chicken fence (the type you can electrify, which we've not done).

Right away, one of the other girls (who's now also broody, and has become - we think - the dominant one in the absence of the 1 who went off to become a mum, Doris), has started attacking 'Doris' through the mesh netting. Really going mad, we got her away and within a minute the other was up to the fence and also attacking Doris. We separated them for the rest of the day, putting the other 2 girls in a different yard with our ducks/geese. Came back from errands and found them back in yard 1, and again attacking Doris through the mesh - the mesh isn't much protection and I think they'll have it down - and Doris killed - in no time. Doris meanwhile is fighting back - but having been broody and then moulting (and eating too much chick crumb probably) she's looking worse for wear and I don't think can win this fight.

Can anyone offer us some advice please? We know a pecking order is the name of the game, but didn't expect this - what with ensuring the other 2 could see Doris and her brood all the time when they're out. We're wondering if we should electrify the poultry netting, but are worried if even a low voltage would be too strong for the 5 week old chicks (1 of which is quite small, we think it (barnevelder) must be a bantam)..? Anyone know about electric poultry netting and young chics?

Any and all advice appreciated. We thought cochins would be a nice docile breed to start chicken keeping with... but so far it's 2 of 3 of them broody and a massive attack game going on (and we haven't even trialed integrating the new baby chics)!

Advice on what to do with Doris' blooming head injuries also would be great

Thank you

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: new mom hen being attacked by 'sisters' - advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 21:20 »
Hi,
Like you said Cochins are a very docile breed, I have never had this problem with mine even with introducing more cockerels or younger growers, but I do not let any of my hens (who go broody very often  >:( ) hatch any eggs as I am always worried that they would crush the chicks, but I do seperate the broodys for a few days and then put them back with no problem, this could be because I have a lot more though.
If the chicks are 5 weeks old now you could seperate them from Doris?
If you place Doris in the coop with the others on a night time you might find you don't have a problem. Other than that you could sheild the others from mum and chicks with some ply or cardboard.
Good Luck
Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:18 »
If your chicks are 5 weeks old and have feathers the electric fence won't harm them.  I usually put my chicks, which have been incubated, out at 5 weeks on their own inside an electric net with no problems.

Your mother hen will decide at what age her chicks should be independant and you will find that one morning she will drive them away if they crowd round her expecting food.  After this she will have no more interest in nuturing them and they will learn to fend for themselves.

Doris will be accepted back again if the others are close and can see her.  Hens can behave aggressively towards broodies who leave the nest as in a flock situation the broody is expected to sit tight on the eggs.  If the broody leaves her nest the others will try to drive her back again.  It isn't this behaviour you are seeing is it?

Treat open wounds with an antiseptic such as Gentian  (Purple) Spray which discourages pecking as well as being antiseptic.

Regards
Truth through science.

newchic

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 09:02 »
Hi,
Thanks so much to both of you.

Re. Doris and getting tired of her brood, that's what we read - that she will grow tired of them, and sense we had no need (or so we thought) for her to be back with the others, we thought we'd wait to have that happen. They're 5 weeks today though and no sign of that; yesterday in constructing the poultry netting we let her out of the chicky run to give her some decent food for a change and better ground. And what did she do but hover and cluck at her chicks on the other side of the panel - and dig up worms which she then tried desperately to get through the wire to feed them! And they of course clearly wanted her back.

These 3 hens were inseparable before, and we've always made sure the other 2 could see Doris - both when broody (when we took her out for food etc) and then with the new chicks. They were incredibly curious when the new chicks arrived, on the other side of the wire mesh, it's only now - with no wire mesh and poultry netting that the rules have changed. The one that went for her 1st (may be coincidence, she was closer) is the one that now seems most dominant - and has herself this week decided to go broody (not taken drastic action yet, beyond forcing her out of the house and shutting the door everyday). Doris meanwhile is not one to back down and she's gone for them  each in response, though certain she's not started anything.

The eggs were bought at a local show and we understood them to be 2 light sussex (we thought we might get a decent egg layer this way!) and 2 barnevelders. The eggs were so small though that we pondered they must be bantams. That said, the light sussex chicks are growing like weeds/chicks and the barney (lost one) is growing but in miniature. All 3 are well feathered, though no completely - the Barney in particular has some to come on his chest - doesn't have much of anything there at the minute. All very cute though! And they can all get through the lowest/smallest panel in the mesh - another reason to consider electrifying it.

We'll go get some of that purple spray today, and will put the 2 hens in the other field maybe with the ducks, to avoid any disasters - and may go get a low voltage battery - but I'm anxious with the chicks, though maybe I can give them a good inspection to see if they're fully feathered....

Thanks

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:52 »
Sounds like you may need some advice on electric nets.  The voltage of the battery doesn't determine the voltage of the net as the high voltage required to make the net work needs to be generated by an energiser.  It isn't directly connected to the battery.  Heres some info.
A net needs to be electrified using an “energiser” of which there are many makes available.  The energiser applies short very high voltage pulses to the fence which are unpleasant to touch causing a sharp jolt, but aren’t high enough energy to be dangerous.  The basic decisions you need to make are whether to power the energiser from a battery or from the mains.  Most energisers these days are actually powered from a 12 volt supply which can either be a battery or a plug top mains powered power supply.  This means you have the option of mains or battery powering . Obviously which you use will depend on the proximity of a mains supply though it is worth considering a battery system for the convenience and ease of safely installing it if there’s no convenient outside mains sockets or in sheltered out buildings.  Two battery systems are usually available; a standard 12 Volt wet cell battery (as used in a car), or a 9 Volt dry cell battery using dry cell replaceable batteries (as used by torches for example).  Wet cell batteries are rechargeable and have a high capacity so are economic to maintain whereas dry cell batteries need to be replaced when exhausted but are much lighter than wet cells and are easily carried to remote locations.   For most people a 12v wet cell is the preferred choice because of the economy of use.  Although a car battery can be used they aren’t designed for deep discharging, which normally happens with electric fences, and they quickly have cell failures due to cell plate distortion.  A purpose designed “Leisure” battery should be used which has reinforced cells and will last for many years if properly looked after and charged up immediately they become discharged.  Whether you use a dry or wet battery ensure the energiser is designed for the specific voltage (12V or 9V) supplied by the battery.  To indicate when the battery is low, an energiser which includes a low voltage indicator is useful in maintaining battery life.
If you use a mains unit make sure it is powered from a propery installed socket and not from a mains extension lead.
Regards
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:57 by hillfooter »

newchic

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 17:25 »
Hi Hillfooter,
Thanks for that info on electric netting - really helpful. I will pass on to my partner, who'll be responsible for this if and when we go for it. We bought the netting at a show a while a go, and figured we'd go with a battery unit but beyond that hadn't figured much else out.

Hens are living a separated life today, 2 hens with the ducks and geese and Doris and her 3 in a separate area. Hopefully, this won't go on for long as there's much less visibility between them all this way. Our smallest hen 'barney' still isn't fully feathered (had a good look at him today) so guess we'll need to stay away from electric fencing for a bit longer. And Doris is as keen on the chicks as ever.

I'd love to know what the chicks are - boys or girls - maybe I should post some pics and see if anyone can give us an idea..?

Thanks!

xx
The dog attacked my hen... help/advice

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 07:58
by frenchliving
xx
Chicken Attacked - Advice please

Started by RobH on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 08:04
by Sassy
xx
Polka Dot and Sisters

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 21:51
by babe
xx
Re-introducing Broody to her Sisters

Started by Russellintheundergrowth on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 19:19
by Russellintheundergrowth

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 33 queries.