Late/autumn planting and rotation

• 11 Replies

Vegpot

« on: March 05, 2008, 13:09 »
Hi

I have a question about how autumn planting fits into a rotation plan.  I am rotating different veg families in 3 raised beds, but if I want to fit in some autumn planting for over-wintering or early spring harvesting, like leeks or brassicas, how do they fit into the plan - it feels like it might get rather complicated!

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 13:13 »
it doesn't have to be  :D   I usually nod off when anyone mentions rotation  :lol:   As long as you don't plant the same thing in the same place I wouldn't worry

I have a memory like a sieve so I take photos to remind what I grew where

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 13:15 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
it doesn't have to be  :D   I usually nod off when anyone mentions rotation  :lol:   As long as you don't plant the same thing in the same place I wouldn't worry

I have a memory like a sieve so I take photos to remind what I grew where

Same here.. sod the rotation, I just don't plant in the same place twice

Vegpot

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 13:20 »
Thanks for helping me to feel more relaxed about it - quite frankly I'll be very happy if I get a decent harvest of anything  :D

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 13:28 »
you can plan like mad for things, but life is way too short. for me raised beds are too much like hard work as well, so sod raised beds as well.. sod an organised plot... just stick stuff in and you'll be fine :D :D :lol: :lol:

I was all worried about it last year and started to create plans using various methods, but end of the day I cannot be arsed. I keep my blog to basically remind me of dates/and where I planted stuff.. even then I often forget to update it :D : D: D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 14:05 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
you can plan like mad for things, but life is way too short. for me raised beds are too much like hard work as well, so sod raised beds as well.. sod an organised plot... just stick stuff in and you'll be fine :D :D :lol: :lol:

I was all worried about it last year and started to create plans using various methods, but end of the day I cannot be arsed. I keep my blog to basically remind me of dates/and where I planted stuff.. even then I often forget to update it :D : D: D

Blimey, who woke up the wrong side of the bed today  :roll:  but yea the idea of rotation is not to plant the same veg in the same spot, so long as you dont you will be fine, follow your early spuds with your leeks.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 14:19 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Quote from: "Sadgit"

Blimey, who woke up the wrong side of the bed today  :roll:  but yea the idea of rotation is not to plant the same veg in the same spot, so long as you dont you will be fine, follow your early spuds with your leeks.

I know... stopped smoking today.....!!!! :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 14:48 »
:lol:  :lol:  I gave up cakes, bickies and crisps for lent, jumped on scales this morning  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  1/2 stone lost.

shaun

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 15:52 »
I'm with sadgit here,its nearly impossible to rotate your crops as they say in books on an allotment,take spuds for example on my plots they take up 2/3 ish of the plot every year ,so the following year some spuds get grown in the same place theres no way around it,the main ones to rotate are your onions and brassicas i thinks,beans can be grown in the same place year after year,but saying that i know folks who have permanent onion beds  :? i'm confusing myself now :lol:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 11:33 »
So Vegpot there ya go, rotation sorted  :lol:

Enjoy your veg growing. Veggies don't like stressed owners  :D

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 11:53 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
:lol:  :lol:  I gave up cakes, bickies and crisps for lent, jumped on scales this morning  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  1/2 stone lost.

well done you... :)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 11:54 »
Quote from: "shaun"
I'm with sadgit

Hold on there.. will people STOP agreeing with me.. I know nowt :D :lol:

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 39 queries.