Mother Hen Attacking Chicks

• 3 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Mother Hen Attacking Chicks
« on: October 02, 2013, 12:38 »
Hi All,

My Mother Hen layed her first egg after having chicks for two months today.  She has been going all over the garden growling to herself.  When any of her two month old chicks come near her, she attacks them by biting them on the back or holding onto their tail feathers.  When she attacks one, she purposefully seeks out the others and does the same thing.  I think she is fed up with being 'Mum' and is driving them off.  Is this normal?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Mother Hen Attacking Chicks
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 16:06 »
It can happen, some chicks are a bit clingy and Mum will try and encourage them to stand on their own two feet.  I generally try and take Mum away from the chicks at around 8 weeks but they are in a pen where she can still see them and vice versa.  I have done it this week with Snowy and her 6 chicks.  It also helps the chicks to get used to humans as they are usually warned that you are a danger by Mum.  It also gives the broody time to recover and put some weight back on, especially if she is laying she will need to be on layers pellets.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 23:00 »
Thank you, ANHBUC.  They all went into the same hen house tonight and there wasn't any fuss.  Mother Hen has stopped growling now too.  So we'll see how things go tomorrow.  Poor MH also molted too.  All of our hens are together with the chicks.  Thank you for helping.  I really wasn't sure what to do.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:38 »
If they are anything like my turkey poults were they will not want to let go of Mums (Dottys) apron strings.  I had to take Dotty away from them as they were getting so big they could have accidentally squashed her.   ::) :lol:
turkey poults week 5 002 (1524 x 1143).jpg

xx
help! Mother attacking chick

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 20:12
by joyfull
xx
Mother hen still with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
xx
Pics of mother hen and chicks !

Started by spud on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2006, 22:33
by spud
xx
taking chicks from their mother

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 19:52
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.