Bramley seedling

• 6 Replies

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
Bramley seedling
« on: June 02, 2013, 22:09 »
I bought a Bramley seedling today, it hasn't blossomed this year and it is about 6-7ft tall does anyone know when it will blossom for the first time? do they have to hit a certain age/height?

fatcat1955

Re: Bramley seedling
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 22:41 »
If you bought it today how do you know it has not blossomed? Just a thought but i planted one last year which is now 6-7ft tall and it blossomed this year albeit not much.  Get it out of the pot and into the ground and read up on pruning.

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 23:03 »
it doesn't look like it has any kind of blossom and I would imagine if it had it would be showing signs of fruit if it had, is it too late for it too blossom this year? we also bought a family tree and that if full of fruit

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:05 »
If the flower's were not pollinated then there will be no sign of blossom. It is too late now for blossom this year.

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:12 »
My Bramley's Seedling has just finished blossoming. When it blossoms for the first time is partly dependent on rootstock. Larger trees start flowering later, although you might get a small number of  blossoms earlier. Great trees though and fruit that will store all winter and well into spring. The attached pic was taken on the 25th of May.
apple.jpg

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 13:01 »
Thank you it's on a MM106 rootstock i thought it might have to get a bit older before it did blossom a lot of the Bramleys on smaller rootstock had all blossomed and had fruit, I'm pretty sure it didn't blossom because it was surrounded by many many apple trees and if it wasn't pollinated there then it's stuffed in my garden  :lol: beautiful tree Simon fingers crossed mine will get there eventually, can I ask how old and tall your tree is?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 13:02 by vanessa.xx »

simonwatson

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 13:55 »
I don't know much about if before 2006, when I moved in. The spread is about 15 feet. The height is about 12 feet, but it was taller when I first moved in. I suspect it's on either MM111 or even M25. It's age is unknown but the main trunk is nearly a foot in diameter. It could well have been there since the house was built in the 1950's.

It produced about 200lb of apples two years ago. With the early spring and late frost of last year it produced 20 apples. Things look good this year though.

MM106 starts to fruit after 3-4 years so no blossom this year isn't a massive surprise on a young tree. Good luck with it.

xx
Bramley Apple Seedling

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 19:43
by Stripey_cat
xx
Bramley too big

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2022, 23:34
by Snowboar
xx
Bramley Apple

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 17:11
by lacewing
xx
Bramley apple.

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 20:46
by DavidT

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.