A good year so far (much better than last year).

• 5 Replies

al78

A good year so far (much better than last year).
« on: August 03, 2020, 21:44 »
It seems my hard work during spring lockdown and frequent watering during the ongoing arid spell is paying off now we are in high summer. Could barely get this lot back home on my bike last weekend. The lack of rain has resulted in very little slug damage, so the brassicas in particular have had a chance to grow and mature without being badly munched. I'm surprised at how big the cabbages have grown.

IMG_20200801_140939.jpg
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 21:46 by al78 »

Nobbie

Re: A good year so far (much better than last year).
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 18:49 »
Some great carrots there, my cabbages have done well too. My Hispi are twice the normal size.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 21:28 »
Good to hear of people having a good year :)
For all the reasons given on the other thread about this year, https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=132957.msg1537427#msg1537427 - this has not been a good year for me, and most of the plot holders on our site.
The plots are on an upward slope over greensand subsoil, and no matter how much you watered it just hasn't been enough, after a dry Spring - unless you are at the bottom of the slope (sadly my plot is at the top  ::) )

al78

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 22:48 »
Good to hear of people having a good year :)
For all the reasons given on the other thread about this year, https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=132957.msg1537427#msg1537427 - this has not been a good year for me, and most of the plot holders on our site.
The plots are on an upward slope over greensand subsoil, and no matter how much you watered it just hasn't been enough, after a dry Spring - unless you are at the bottom of the slope (sadly my plot is at the top  ::) )

I can appreciate that. After the incredibly wet February south east England has virtually become semi-arid. I have never known it this dry for this long. Even the July rain was mostly nuisance drizzle. I was out for 45 minutes watering my plot late yesterday evening. I am on clay soil so it does hold water well but even so, when we had one day when it rained for hours last month, the soil was bone dry below an inch. If you are cultivating on a soil which is fast draining and doesn't hold water well I don't know how you can ever keep crops watered enough with the ridiculous extreme locked in dry weather we've had for the last five months. Those up north will wonder what we are complaining about, NW England has had a cool cloudy wet summer so far.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 23:48 »
I'm reaping the benefits of heavily mulching my beds, I've only watered once or twice this summer, despite the general lack of rain. If I dip a finger into the soil it's damp just a centremetre or two always.

wolveryeti

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 08:26 »
Great harvest!

My brassicas have also done well. Likewise squashes.

Same can't be said for peas/tomatos - ravaged by pigeons and late blight, respectively  :(

Still waiting to see on root veg

xx
Was it just me or was it not a good year for growing.

Started by grasshoppergardenservices on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 23, 2013, 17:00
by Muls
xx
A good year for fruit?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 19:08
by pigguns
xx
Good Year For Cabbages

Started by theothermarg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 12:35
by Stevens706
xx
but my courgettes were so good last year...

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 20:41
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 44 queries.