Leeks bolted

• 6 Replies

amiman

Leeks bolted
« on: May 01, 2020, 11:10 »
Last year we grew some leeks, they all bolted and ended up with seed pods on top.
Can anyone suggest what could have caused this, They where in a new raised bed half top soil half compost.
The bed is in a sunny position.

jambop

Re: Leeks bolted
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 11:32 »
All leeks will do that eventually but it does normally happen after the whole growing season has passed. I am surprised that this has happened. One question I would ask is and I am assuming you grew them from seed? Were they hardened off properly? If the had for example been in a cosy greenhouse or kept somewhere that never got really cold and then they were planted out and perhaps got really cold for a couple of days they may have reacted to that and set up to seed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:40 »
Do you mean leeks you planted last year have now bolted? or they bolted  before you could harvest them in winter?

jambop

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 13:05 »
Do you mean leeks you planted last year have now bolted? or they bolted  before you could harvest them in winter?
Exactly mum as pointed out in my post, it is natural for leeks to be bolting now after a full season of growth. Although if you interpret what he has said they way I do he means they all bolted before the were fully grown or perhaps does not realise that leeks are a crop you pick over the course of the year unlike some other vegs that all come at once then you harvest??
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 13:09 by jambop »

amiman

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 15:27 »

They bolted well before harvest time last year

amiman

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 15:28 »
One question I would ask is and I am assuming you grew them from seed? Were they hardened off properly? If the had for example been in a cosy greenhouse or kept somewhere that never got really cold and then they were planted out and perhaps got really cold for a couple of days they may have reacted to that and set up to seed.

They were bought from local small garden center and were outside when purchased

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 15:41 »
They probably dried out in their modules, at the garden centre - before you bought them - or they dried out when you first dibbed them in/planted them, 'cos at that stage they need to be kept damp til they have rooted.

xx
New Leeks from bolted Old Ones ?

Started by theothermarg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 17:12
by theothermarg
xx
Bolted...what now?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 20:28
by Trikidiki
xx
Bolted Ruhbarb

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 15:36
by DD.
xx
onions bolted!?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 14:38
by Bombers

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 47 queries.