Where to put a coop/run

• 7 Replies

red

Where to put a coop/run
« on: August 18, 2011, 07:59 »
Good morning everybody, my first post here and you guessed it I would like some information if possible.

Firstly I have now read upto 25 pages of information and advice on various subjects about chickens, runs, coops, red mites, what to use and what not to. All very useful and many many thanks for this, it has helped me no end, so a pat on the back to you all.

My question is really to do with the run and below is my garden. The problem I have is where to place the coop and run?

Through the archway is what I call 'my waste ground' (photo below), it is to well covered by a big Lime tree for anything practical to grow there, mainly due to limited sunlight. But it is quiet a big area about 4m x 6m. It does get sun in the morning and early/late evening and I have spent 3 weekends clearing it of my building rubble, etc, so it is nice and clear now.

or I can use the area (photo below) where my greenhouse is at the moment. This area would give me a run/coop of about 1.7m x 5m. I dont use the greenhouse for anything apart from storing my odds and ends and so I have decided to remove it. This leaves me a paved area and good sunlight most of the day

I intend to get 3/4 chickens to start with and when I am at home or after work they will be given the run of the garden. Should I go for the larger area which I am very tempted to use to get it back into use with something I want to do. The only disadvantage is that they will be at the bottom of the garden pratically out of view, or should I have them up near the house in a smaller run.

I have access to plenty of timber, so that isnt an issue for me and also have plenty of 50mm x 50mm welded mesh, would this be ok to use?

So many questions, lol, hoping somebody can see any issues that I may have overlooked.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:02 by red »

Casey76

Re: Where to put a coop/run
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:36 »
Hi Red, and welcome to the site :)

The area under the lime tree would be a great place to put a coop and run, and a good use of the space.  You may want to consider a covered run though to prevent a lot of the sap getting to the chickens.

Personally, I think you have such a beautiful garden, that I wouldn't let tem out on it.  An area of 4x6m is more than adequate for 4 hens, and you can buy the odd roll or turf, or grow grass in seed trays to make up for the lack of grass actually in the run space :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:55 »
I'd agree with Casey and say under the tree as chickens do need shade on sunny days.  As the lime tree will be full of aphids dropping honeydew, a roof to your run would good as well.  If you have timber and weld mesh to hand you can build a lovely big run for them  :)

One advantage of having them a bit out of view is that they won't be yelling for attention every time they see you and you can choose when you are going to see them.  Mine can see into the kitchen from their run and believe me they can be a pain at times  ;) 

Mine have no grass in their run, but get plenty of greens.  They do get to free range as well but they are destructive in the garden.  Feathered feet bantams are less so if this is going to be an issue for you  :)

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08 »
Photo 2 looks like it will be fine for the run but one of the main considerations when siting the coop is to put it next to a hard path . Visiting the coop 2-3 times a day in wet winter weather can turn soft ground into a sea of mud . A concrete path right up to and around the coop is a big help.

If you can site the coop where it gets the mid-day sun in winter they will like it more than a dark damp corner.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25 »
As chickens are jungle dwellers they will be happy under the tree and especially as this is where you can give them the most space. I would be concerned about the 'sap' from a lime tree though. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 13:09 »
Oh what a lovely garden and a chickeny paradise!   :D

My first thought was under the lime tree, but then 8doubles makes a very good point about you walking over your grass several times a day.  I have worn a track in my grass in the last few weeks as my pullets were due to start laying and I couldn't resist checking for eggs every hour!  :lol:  You seem like a handy sort of person, so perhaps paving a path to the run is an option?

To me, those borders have all kinds of potential too!  From here they look like ornamental borders covered in bark/wood chips with hardy perennial plants.  If you wanted to you could allow your chickens to help you weed the borders and turn the bark.  I know my chickens would be in heaven if let loose in that garden!

red

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 14:47 »
Perfect, that puts my mind at ease now and under the Lime tree it is. This also allows me to alter the garden by the greenhouse, which I was going to do with coop or without anyway.

Roof is a good idea as well, I like that :), so as its under a tree and the possibility of falling branches I will have to source some metal roofing sheet.

There is going to be a path down the side of the garden and through the archway, as I have just built an art studio on the opposite side of that bit of 'waste land' and my shed with my building tools, etc is also down there.

Many thanks for the compliments about the garden, that was a concern about the chickens digging it up, had visions of a garden like the Somme :D

Again many thanks for the information, will let you know how we get on, lol, off to read another 10 pages of info and advice.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:25 »
hello and welcome to the forums red, good idea to cover the run, prevents it turning into a smelly quagmire in wet weather and the rainwater you could collect from this could be put to good use in your lovely garden.

xx
Just got a coop, now what.....?!?!

Started by wellies101 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 22:14
by wellies101
xx
Coop Cam

Started by curries on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 18:31
by evie2
xx
GOT MY COOP!!....now what?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 22:33
by mickwood
xx
New Run and Coop

Started by stujem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 16:47
by izzy

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 40 queries.