Hello from a novice in Leicestershire

• 3 Replies

Trevorfm

Hello from a novice in Leicestershire
« on: November 07, 2016, 15:55 »
Hello. I have just joined this site and immediately realised that it was the only source of information I am ever likely to need!
Last year I decided to buy a 800 sq.m piece of derelict land with a dream of taming it, loosing some weight and hopefully growing some vegetables despite never having grown anything in the previous 60 years and without the slightest idea of what to do or how to do it.
I hired a man with a JCB and chain saw to cut and stack the trees and thick undergrowth. this has provided me with about 5 years of logs for my log burner.
I then set about clearing a small rectangle of land about 9mX4m removing bricks, concrete, glass, metal and an array of household items apparently from a static home which had been on the site about 40 years ago and which had been left to disintegrate. These things included 5 solid silver knives and forks!
I was impatient and keen to get planting, so off I went to the garden centre to see what was available. I had checked on various websites what could be planted at that time of early spring, but had little or no idea how many to buy.
Within the week I had got an array of vegetables in the ground. Potatoes, onions, carrots, beetroot, all nicely covered and "tucked in" with fleece to prevent late frosts thwarting all my hard work. With the exception of the carrots, I got a bumper crop. In fact, I harvested over 110 cobs of Sweet Corn (all 7" - 8") from about 30 small plants. I was absolutely thrilled at the results and a sense of achievement not previously experienced. It is absolutely true that Sweet Corn tastes much better when eaten within 30 minutes of picking (OOOOPs. That made me sound like a seasoned expert rather than a novice beginner!)

I am now in the process of creating a second plot of similar size. I have learnt so much in one season and I am completely hooked on the prospect of sowing, growing, harvesting and eating. I even have an ambition of a shed complete with kettle and armchair!
I have read many of the posts on this forum. You all sound very experienced and knowledgeable, so please forgive me if I ask what seems like stupid questions
By the way, I have lost almost 3 stone in weight and feel great.

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Hello from a novice in Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 17:12 »
Well done Trevorfm. You seem to have achieved a lot in just one season. Glad to hear you have enjoyed it so far....and have lost weight. You've also joined a right good club here. Lots of friendly chat and advice. So we look forward to you joining in.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 18:28 »
Crumbs Trevor, welcome to the site and that's some achievement  :D

I am very impressed by 110 cobs from 30 plants.  If I get one cob per plant I'm generally happy!  And congrats on the weight loss too  :D

PS There are no questions too small or too stupid.  We all had to start somewhere, and chances are that someone else is also hoping to know the answer to your question  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 18:29 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 19:28 »
Hi and welcome  :)

It sounds like you have achieved and learned a lot from just a single season, so jump in and ask away.  We all ask for help with stuff and there's always loads of friendly advice offered back  :)

clip
Allotment newbie in Leicestershire

Started by Wellington on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2020, 14:08
by Yorkie
xx
Greetings from a novice

Started by GeordieCabbage on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2018, 18:04
by GeordieCabbage
xx
Complete novice

Started by John_B on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post January 13, 2016, 10:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 40 queries.