trolleys, carts or tippers to carry tools to the allotment

• 11 Replies

Sarahp

Hi everybody,

Five days ago I became the proud tenant of my first ever allotment!  :) Very exciting!

But I don't own a car and wonder if anyone can recommend a trolley/cart that I can use to carry tools, equipment, etc to the patch.  

I have a 10/15 minute walk, across one main road and a few side roads so a wheelbarrow, unfortunately, isn't going to be ideal.  If it was something easy to store, that would be a plus.

I'm a cyclist though, so if anyone uses a cycle cart that they can recommend that could be very handy.

thanks a lot

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: trolleys, carts or tippers to carry tools to the allotment
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 14:15 »
I have a bike trailer which, although I don't use it for the allotment I think it would be ideal.  It also folds up for easy storage.

It is the same as this one I just found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avenir-Mule-Bicycle-Trailer-/330533412443?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item4cf5539e5b

I think that would be a lot easier than any trolley you push/pull by hand when walking.

Sarahp

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 14:29 »
Steve, you're a star, that looks like it would be just the trick, thanks a bunch.

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 15:56 »
No probs, Glad to be of help.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 16:57 »
I've just become the proud owner of a "Garden Centre Trolley" It's a bit out of true and will take a bit of bashing to get it square but all it cost me was a pot of Damson Jam!   I've got a van, but need to get the weight down just a smidge!   :ohmy:  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

reeterry

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:37 »
jumping in here I know the thread is a bit old) Did you get a bike trailer and how easy did you find it? I'm in the same situation - allotment is about 15 mins walk away (up a steep hill  :(  ) I cycle everywhere but there's a limit on what I can fit on the luggage rack/ basket

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:50 »
Folks on our plot like an old pushchair and they get them from the charity shops  :) 

For composts etc I have an old oxygen gas bottle trolley, which folds up with a flick of the hand so it can be stashed  :) Great piece of kit and out of a skip  :)

Sarahp

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:16 »
Hi there,

The push chair and oxygen bottle trolley are great ideas.  In the end, no I didn't get a bike carrier - complications with some models that fit onto the saddle post - my saddle is v low.  But mostly because i have to get everything out the garden shed and through a pretty narrow back alley I realised that by the time i'd got the bike out the shed (which is a mission in itself!), fitted the trailer and squeezed out to the road i could be at the plot.

I got THIS ONE from ebay

It's been a life saver because it folds up really flat -  i have no space for storage.  I can carry everything in one go, compost, tools, any plants for transplanting, you name it.  It was £69 , expensive yes, but well built, and its just made allotment life  so much easier.  its a whole lot better that the little two wheeled shoppers trolley i got for £3 from the charity shop !

But my route is on the flat so if i had a steep hill I'd have gone for a bike trailer for sure, one that folds, and has quick release connecting to the back stays.  Would be so handy for other non-allotment trips too. But check out reviews because some have a tendency to tip if you get up a bit of a speed apparently (thinking of when you come down the hill on the way back!).  Good luck

sarah

Edit: to make link work
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 13:35 by argyllie »

reeterry

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 13:32 »
I do like the look of that trolley - that might be easier to get up the hill in one way - not sure how easy it would be to push a bike with trailer on it? but then I would much prefer somethign attached to my bike as I go out quite alot on it (no car) so I could use it for shopping etc as well.

I'm liking this atm http://www.amazon.co.uk/CARGO-TRAILER-BIKES-CYCLES-1C6562/dp/B002OR0W7I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

Flatcat

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:13 »
I just connected one of those 4 wheel garden carts to my bike, and it works well, but does need a lot of monitoring!

I also attach it to the lawnmower, and sit in the trailer and let it pull me along (but you have to be careful where you go with that one!) :tongue2:

Damon

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 14:51 »

Here's my trolley.  Started out as a garden centre cast off.  Basket removed and larger basket made from mesh and angle iron (all 'found') ::)  to fit 6 mushroom trays.  Undercarriage from a couple of scrap wheelbarrows and independantly sprung using springs (also 'found)  ::) as the original springing was non existant and the seedlings shook too much.  Little bit of leftover mesh used to make a carryall for handtools and a flask, they only bit left of the original G/C trolley is the handle!  Modification programme still underway ! ! !  :D  Cheers,   Tony.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 18:07 »
Nice one, Tony  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Tools for my new allotment

Started by meriad on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post August 14, 2017, 10:44
by meriad
xx
just ordered the tools for my allotment!

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 11:17
by cray0752
xx
what tools do I need?

Started by subeyman on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 19:11
by Eatyourgreens
xx
Tools

Started by Plot74 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 23:06
by Plot74

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 40 queries.