beans beans and more beans

• 27 Replies

jaydig

Re: beans beans and more beans
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 18:54 »
I'm sticking with Moonlight again next year.  This year I initially tried Firestorm. Two packets later and after only three germinated seeds I gave up and sowed my own kept seed from last year's Moonlight beans.  Virtually 100% germination and so many beans I couldn't keep up with them. They are still producing enough for a good meal every couple of days or so, but I don't think that they'll crop beyond the end of this week. I admit that this year I have grown them at home, and was able to keep them well watered when the weather was so hot, which obviously helped, but a bumper crop nonetheless.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 21:19 »
I like the white flowered varieties too, jaydig.  White lady is my banker.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 21:20 »
Snap - I also managed to keep the garden ones alive, but the plot ones died in spite of me trying to keep them watered  ::)
I always have trouble germinating White Lady, so tried different ones this year, but it has just confirmed that White Lady is better IMO of course. I'll just have to buy a bigger packet of seeds so that enough germinate next year  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 21:23 »
I germinate mine in deep root trainers, Mum.  But you do have to make sure not to keep them too wet.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2022, 07:06 »
do you  chit your bean seeds as stated we try to chit most seeds in airing cupboard find we get much better germination with all the larger seeds.
from bow like to grow

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2022, 08:36 »
I soak and then chit peas and beans and usually get near 100% germination.  It avoids them rotting off before they have absorbed enough water to start germinating.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2022, 09:26 »
I'm another fan of White Lady runner beans, although the seeds do seem more prone to rotting both before and even after germination than the purple-seeded varieties used to be.

I do exactly what Aunty does - key thing to do seems to be to keep them no more than damp both during chitting and after sowing.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaydig

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2022, 15:52 »
I feel that most things we grow, such as beans, tomatoes potatoes, etc. which are staples, for me at least, choosing a 'best' one is very subjective.  At home, we all grow in different soils, which has an effect on the crop and we all have personal taste preferences.  This is why it's great to swap a sample of something that you either like, or have grown for the first time, with some plot mates. This way you can try before you grow, as the soil is usually pretty much the same across the allotment site, and it saves disappointment if something that someone else thinks is wonderful turns out not to be to your taste.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2022, 19:20 »
Right now, I am thoroughly enjoying the watch-and-wait for the Windsor broad beans I planted to come up.  The seeds are being pushed up mostly side-first (looking like someone buried a milk chocolate egg in the soil).  The green shoots are starting to appear.  Should be fun (though I am easily amused). :)
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Bm1

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 20:40 »

Go to the top of the forum you want to start a topic in and click on the New Topic button.

Thank you very much Aunty. It would have been a little more obvious if the words “new topic” was written along side the little icon like on the picture that you uploaded but sadly this is not the case on my iPad for what ever reason. Thanks again

Bm1

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2022, 20:45 »

Go to the top of the forum you want to start a topic in and click on the New Topic button.

Thanks, I have replied to your reply.
Can I ask now how do I set to receive notifications when someone replies to a post please?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2022, 21:06 »
I think that's the Notify button at the top or bottom of the thread. It looks like a loudspeaker icon
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Bm1

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2022, 22:08 »
I think that's the Notify button at the top or bottom of the thread. It looks like a loudspeaker icon

Many thanks Yorkie

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 52 queries.