Broad Beans too early?

• 7 Replies

EmmaLiane

Broad Beans too early?
« on: November 02, 2020, 14:05 »
I sowed some broad beans late Sept for over winter. Bit concerned I sowed too early...it’s now 2nd Nov and I have plants about 1ft tall and some even have flowers....did I sow too early..?!  :(
Not sure what to do to try save them for early Spring, will a cloche over winter work? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 14:12 by EmmaLiane »

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Re: Broad Beans too early?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 01:17 »
Yes, sown too early.  Best lateish October/early November.   Try to rescue with cloches, better cold frame if available, best greenhouse transplanted and replanted in February if you have access.   Leeds a little too far north for consistent Autumn sowing success.   Try Wizard beans from Realseeds or eBay bought next year when seed more readily available which gives more consistent results in the north.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 10:24 »
Hi EmmaLiane  :)

Wizard beans are in stock now at Real Seeds and it is not too late to sow this year.

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/broadbeanseed.html

Here is a link to a recent thread where we discussed them, with input from forum members who have experience of growing them  :)

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=133539.msg1542505#msg1542505

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 23:04 »
Better than Wizard beans from Realseeds in my opinion is Green Manure Field beans which could be Wizard but are more likely to be the higher yielding Tundra from Amazon.   These are 1.59 for 50g or 1.95 for 100g with free postage and should crop and taste very similar to Wizard.  Buying Wizard from Realseeds this year you get poor quality seed - with holes in some - and a minimum order value of £8 plus £1.95 postage.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 16:12 »
Buying Wizard from Realseeds this year you get poor quality seed

I don’t think that is quite fair or even accurate. It is seed with holes in it and they have been very honest about that, but it has been tested and grows just fine.  They are offering that in preference to poor quality seeds that look perfect but don’t germinate well.   

I scratched about for a seed crop from my Wizard beans this year as they got attacked by pigeons who pecked most of the flowers off.  Usually I faff about picking out the seeds with holes, but I kept them and planted them this year.

I have been up at the plot today and guess what.  Holey beans Batman - they are all up.  Now there is a job saved from now on  :)

Never grown Tundra, so I have no idea how they compare. I usually wait until I know myself for sure before deciding on a favourite.  I have to say I never have any trouble making up a minimum order value at Realseeds either, but that is another story the seedaholics on here all know well  :lol:
E9B50AD2-9443-4719-9256-DB0A21847022.jpeg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 16:15 by New shoot »

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 14:49 »
My own experience of sowing broad beans with holes in them is that they do germinate but only at 50% the rate of undamaged beans and crop less well also.   The statement by Realseeds that holey beans germinate as well  as undamaged  beans I  view with some scepticism.   But if you do the mathematics and have pure beans germinating at 95% and holey beans at 50% with a 75%:25% split, you will still achieve th 80% minimum germination rate required by law.   For those not inextricably devoted to the variety Wizard or who believe it fair to describe Realseeds' offering as poor quality and/or do not wish to spend at least 9.95 there, there is an ever cheaper Field bean alternative : 150g, perhaps 97 seeds for 2.10 with free postage at eBay.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 16:05 »
My own experience of sowing broad beans with holes in them is that they do germinate but only at 50% the rate of undamaged beans and crop less well also.   The statement by Realseeds that holey beans germinate as well  as undamaged  beans I  view with some scepticism.   But if you do the mathematics and have pure beans germinating at 95% and holey beans at 50% with a 75%:25% split, you will still achieve th 80% minimum germination rate required by law.   For those not inextricably devoted to the variety Wizard or who believe it fair to describe Realseeds' offering as poor quality and/or do not wish to spend at least 9.95 there, there is an ever cheaper Field bean alternative : 150g, perhaps 97 seeds for 2.10 with free postage at eBay.

My experience is different in that I have sowed mainly holey beans this year and they have all come up.  One of my plot neighbour had seeds off me a few years ago and sows saved ones (holes or not) year on year.  He gets pretty much full germination regardless and I have replicated his results after he encouraged me to keep my holey seeds.

Maybe it is different for normal broad beans. I have never tried it with them, so can’t comment.  If you have never grown Wizard beans, I guess the same is true  :)

I have other broad beans to sow this spring, so I would not say I was inextricably devoted to only growing a single type. I am a regular Real Seed customer, but that does mean I can vouch for their excellent customer service.   I have faith our forum readers are perfectly fine with reading a catalogue description of what is on offer and make their own minds up whether to buy there or elsewhere.

Try Wizard beans from Realseeds or eBay bought next year when seed more readily available which gives more consistent results in the north.

You recommended them remember. I just offered a source and a link to a thread where they were being discussed, in case the op had no idea what they were.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 19:26 »
Just to clarify, I recommended Real Seeds or eBay as possible suppliers NEXT YEAR when presumably the supply of field beans is such that seed merchants do not have to supply beans with holes in them..   I simply do not understand why a reputable supplier does not simply reduce the seed available for sale to those without holes in them.

xx
Early Broad Beans

Started by Don Cameron on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 14:14
by Don Cameron
xx
To early to sow broad beans and peas?

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 07:22
by radiohead
xx
Broad beans - too early/too late for autumn sowing?

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 19:37
by cawdor2001
xx
Sowing Early Peas and Broad Beans in Feb - outdoors or in pots?

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 08:05
by HuwG

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 45 queries.