Cherry tree question/problem

• 1 Replies

seanandde

Cherry tree question/problem
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:45 »
We have a cherry tree in our garden, inherited when we moved in 3 years ago.  It's about 30' tall; we don't know the variety but it bears a small amount of small dark fruits which we've never eaten as they always seem to be high up and the birds get there first

In previous years its looked a perfectly healthy tree in full leaf through summer and lots of spring blossom .  This year, however, up until now its still completely bare of leaves and no blossom.  It's covered in tight, healthy (looking at them, having broken a few off) blossom buds - in short, it looks as I think it should look much earlier in the year.

I've never really noticed exactly when it does blossom/come into leaf in previous years... it's just "there" and has always been healthy.  We're in the south east where it's been exceptionally sunny/warm.  Are there some cherries which come into leaf/blossom later than others and I've simply not noticed this in previous years?  Or is there more likely something wrong with it?  It looks very conspicuous, being the only tree in the vicinity to be completely leafless!

Many thanks.

SG6

Re: Cherry tree question/problem
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:48 »
I would say that there is something wrong. I have a cherry of about 20ft and it has blossomed and now has a full set of leaves.

I am in the Cambridge area so sa you state South East I assume bit more southerly then myself and I would have expected your's to actually have blossomed a little earlier.

A tree cannot blossom way outside of the others of it's type as then no pollination, no fruit, no seed and the variety dies out.

I can only guess and that comes down to water, it has been very dry in the last 8 weeks, just had one small shower here.

I would look at the ground and if it looks appropriate add a few bags of mulch, wood chips, and then water. The cherry I have is in relatively shallow ground but it has an inch or two or bark chips over it.

It could be an infection, thinking of something like silver leaf. I lost a plum to that but as best I recall the tree produced leaves just slowly weaken and died.

Check the RHS site and see if they list anything.

clip
Cherry Tree Problem

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 15:19
by jaydig
xx
New cherry tree problem

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 00:31
by Trillium
clip
cherry tree problem

Started by chumpy7 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 19:27
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Cherry tree problem

Started by Little weed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 22:31
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 38 queries.