Can all leggy brassicas seedlings be planted deeper to compensate?

• 12 Replies

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
Can all leggy brassicas seedlings be planted deeper to compensate for leggy growth?

I have summer cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli all started indoors and all looking very leggy. They will be moved to a better location (light wise), but maybe its too late... they look very healthy other wise. 
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Yep that will work plant to the first set of leaves
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

paintedlady

Just a bit concerned about how hardy they will be after getting so "leggy" in the first place, but would agree they can be planted quite deep  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
i had this last year and i repotted them with all the stalk in the compost, they were great cabbages  ;) so dont worry and get potting.

compostqueen

me too, I just bury em deeper and hope for the best.  You do what you can when you have busy lives they just get away from you  :ohmy:  One day I will keep on top of things  :tongue2:

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Yeap me too planted them right up to the first set of leaves. They grew very well after re potting!!1
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
I haven't logged on here for a while and I'll admit to being too busy at home, at work, in my garden AND on the plot   :wacko:
But does nobody bother to look back on previous posts for information they may find useful?  ???
OK...I had to go back 23 pages of posts to find the same question I needed answering but I DID get my answer from other more knowledgeable members on this forum than myself, instead of me creating another duplicate request...

No wonder the site had to have a major overhaul with all the trifling nonsense some people put on here... :mad:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
For your information the overhaul was nothing to do with post content, so I suggest you get your facts correct.

This is a forum and exists for people to interact with each other by way of questions and discussion.

If the post you wanted was that far back, then maybe it warranted the question re-asking as there would have been a lot of new members since it last saw light of day and you cannot expect new members to read everything that has ever been posted.

The moderators have no problem with this question being posed again, it's a very valid one for this time of year, as many newcomers think that warmth is the answer to all germinating problems.

As for trifling nonsense. There's only one such post on this thread.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

nipper31

• Experienced Member
For your information the overhaul was nothing to do with post content, so I suggest you get your facts correct.

This is a forum and exists for people to interact with each other by way of questions and discussion.

If the post you wanted was that far back, then maybe it warranted the question re-asking as there would have been a lot of new members since it last saw light of day and you cannot expect new members to read everything that has ever been posted.

The moderators have no problem with this question being posed again, it's a very valid one for this time of year, as many newcomers think that warmth is the answer to all germinating problems.

As for trifling nonsense. There's only one such post on this thread.

I sincerely apologise then for my mistake and if I have caused any offence.
I am a newish member myself and certainly am a newcomer to growing on an allotment. Maybe I should have asked the question again instead of searching back on other valid posts for the answer to my question.
You're right DD, warmth is obviously not the answer.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Accepted - good of you to say so.

Now - back to the job in hand!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
I haven't logged on here for a while and I'll admit to being too busy at home, at work, in my garden AND on the plot   :wacko:
But does nobody bother to look back on previous posts for information they may find useful?  ???
OK...I had to go back 23 pages of posts to find the same question I needed answering but I DID get my answer from other more knowledgeable members on this forum than myself, instead of me creating another duplicate request...

No wonder the site had to have a major overhaul with all the trifling nonsense some people put on here... :mad:

Sometimes new members have a different slant on the same question, or even a different joke to share    :D
Sorry guys, it came out bigger than I had thought so I have changed it!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 18:20 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

So I guess he answer is: "Stick them in deeper - no probs!"
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
So I guess he answer is: "Stick them in deeper - no probs!"

'werked for me'   :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
leggy brassicas

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 18:47
by MJS
xx
Planting leggy brassicas

Started by Ivor Backache on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 07:51
by Grubbypaws
xx
Leggy brassicas, learning the hard way!!

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 20:26
by Judd
xx
Why Are My Seedlings Always Leggy?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 11:28
by PembsPanther

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 39 queries.