Tips re butternut squash

• 14 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Tips re butternut squash
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:21 »
At my wife's request I'm going to grow Butternut Squash for the first time this year. Does anyone have any tips for growing them in the frozen North of England please?

I have a greenhouse and polytunnel as well as outdoor garden

compostqueen

Re: Tips re butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:31 »
They are a pain in the neck and there are many other squashes just as good and easier to grow. However, the gauntlet has been thrown down so you've got to give it a go  :)  They need plenty of growing time and I think they would appreciate your PT. You could plant them undercover but allow them to grow out the door if you wish  :)  They will appreciate a large planting hole filled with rotted muck and/or mixed with your soil.  I sow mine and plant them when they are robust enough to stand the cut and thrust of the great outdoors. They can't stand frost so you could steal a march and get them planted in the PT so they have a head start over the outdoor plantings

To encourage pollinators into your PT grow some calendula etc    You can take the leading shoot off the plant once you have about 3 to 5 fruits established per plant

Good luck  :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:36 »
What culinary squash would you recommend as an easier substitute CQ? I've room to grow a few

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:37 »
With all squash's they need a lot of rich organic matter. Its a good idea to dig out about a cubuc foot of soil and replace it all with compost. Plant them in there and they'll be happy.

Another important point is that they love water on their roots (hence the organic matter, which helps hold it) but HATE it on the plant itself. A lot of people tend to plant them on a slight raised 'bump' and just water around them (rather then watering 'over' them as the normal practice).

Good luck!

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:40 »
With all squash's they need a lot of rich organic matter. Its a good idea to dig out about a cubuc foot of soil and replace it all with compost. Plant them in there and they'll be happy.

Another important point is that they love water on their roots (hence the organic matter, which helps hold it) but HATE it on the plant itself. A lot of people tend to plant them on a slight raised 'bump' and just water around them (rather then watering 'over' them as the normal practice).

Good luck!

- Gary.

I'm growing 'turks turban' this year. Its an old variaty (which I always prefer) and it looks great!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42 »
It does look good, but is not noted for it's taste, unfortunately :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:46 »
They seem to struggle more than some other winter squashes given what our recent summers have been like - and the further north you are the more likely it is they won't deliver.

I suggest you grow at least one under glass, although it will then almost certainly need hand pollinating - if you grow a few outdoors too you will lessen the chances of finishing up with flowers of only one sex being produced at any given time, which is always a big frustration.

Winter Festival and Uchiki Kuri are good alternatives and both have done better here than Butternuts.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:57 »
I think Turks Turban looks fab but that's about all  :D

A butternut type that I've grown successfully over the years is Green Striped Cushaw, which looks kind of butternut ish but is a "crookneck"   It's a good storer and makes a good pie as well as savouries

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 15:45 »
What culinary squash would you recommend as an easier substitute CQ? I've room to grow a few

I grow loads of gemsquash and really like the acorn squashes. The acorns are a really delicious smooth better than butternut squash and the gems are totally different to any others you may have had.  They are all available here www.seedparade.co.uk and some info on gemsquash is here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=98722.0
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 15:54 »
I was never a huge squash fan until I grew red kuri, aka uchiki kuri, which I now adore. Its very sweet and easy to grow. Resembles a small pumpkin.

To finish ripening your squash, when the cooler weather sets in you can set up a tent-like poly cover over the squash to protect from frost, etc. If you bring the vine with squash close to the crown and set up this cover, it'll ripen just fine.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 16:06 »
If she really wants a butternut type squash, there is an F1 hybrid called butterbush which produces smaller fruit but can be grown in a pot so you could move it in/out of the tunnel/greenhouse depending on the weather.  :)
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/22213/squash-winter-butterbush-f1-seeds?gclid=CImPh-SvgbUCFXDLtAodGDwAjQ
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 18:18 »
Grew Hunter from seed - started them off indoors in 3" pots and planted out 27th May when had a couple of proper leaves and no chance of a frost ( fingers crossed ). Dug a hole - put in half a cheap grow bag ( short of home made compost ) - then covered in Black woven mulch mat . I am in Nottinghamshire but had really good results - from 6 plants had about 30 squash - varying size - which I ate through to Christmas. Will do the same this year.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 19:04 »
I've started growing something called Jumbo Pink Banana, very, very similar to Butternut squash, but without the shape and bigger. Oh and much, much easier to grow to fruiting. Treat it as any other squash for growing...........plenty of muck and protect from slugs and frost.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 20:29 »
Grew Hunter from seed - started them off indoors in 3" pots and planted out 27th May when had a couple of proper leaves and no chance of a frost ( fingers crossed ). Dug a hole - put in half a cheap grow bag ( short of home made compost ) - then covered in Black woven mulch mat . I am in Nottinghamshire but had really good results - from 6 plants had about 30 squash - varying size - which I ate through to Christmas. Will do the same this year.
That sounds like a good plan. I'll put them on the sheltered side of my polytunnel in full sun and use up some of my surplus weed membrane

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 21:24 »
 ::)
squash.jpg

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
question
Butternut squash

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 00:35
by viettaclark
xx
butternut squash

Started by crowman24 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:29
by sunshineband
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 07, 2016, 10:02
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 41 queries.