Brand New and Looking to Learn

• 10 Replies

Flowerpower136

Brand New and Looking to Learn
« on: June 08, 2009, 17:08 »
Finally made the decision, and about to book 3 ex batts for early August pick up.

Now the fun starts.  Have been reading this forum and learning lots, but still having nightmares about foxes.  This is what we're planning.  Please tell me now if we can do anything better before we start ordering materials.

Hen run of 16 gauge welded mesh, to a height of at least 6 ft above ground level, with 1 ft buried below ground, containing a heavy weight, home constructed, raised hen coop with bolts on all doors.   Coop will have extended roof to form a rain shelter.  Food and water containers to go under the raised coop.

Would prefer not to net over top of run.  Is it really necessary?  Could be done later if problem with magpies?  Can squirrels be a problem?

Position of hen run is at end of garden where I've got several compost bays, rhubard, blueberry and blackcurrent.  Intend to move the rhubarb, but wondering about leaving other fruit in place.  Don't mind if they have a peck, birds get most of it anyway.  Will that be OK?  Assume no problem if they get into the compost bays?  It's just garden waste, though will have to take care not to include any toxic leaves.  Could always cover with mesh if necessary.  Want to include the bins because it gives more area to the pen, and thought they might enjoy a rummage.  Assuming they can jump up that high.

There are rats round here, so will use snap traps in vicinity.

Any advice much appreciated. :D

Foxy

Re: Brand New and Looking to Learn
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 17:19 »
Hello Flowerpot, sounds like you are well on track! :) With regard to the height, having an "overhang" at the top would be really useful, leaning outwards. One of our members karlooben has this and is a very effective deterrent.
Run size, it has been suggested 1msq per bird, however, a lot of health and behaviour problems can be minimised the more space they have, so, as your structure sounds permanent, 2msq would be good. Maybe more if you have the space and think you might add a couple of extra bird in the future, or maybe have a little section available for quarantine/hospital. You might want to think about what the base will consist of, grass wont stay around very long, and a deep bed of soft woodchips will also give them something to scratch around in. Gravel boards can help keep the woodchip inside. :)
Have a dig around the poultry information pages too,and feel free to keep those questions coming, better now than later!! :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 17:37 »
Thanks Foxy, thats reassuring.  Just had the phone call to confirm pick up on 1 August, so it's really going to happen!!

Area doesn't have grass, it's the really useful space where I do shredding, composting, and wood splitting, etc so a basic earth floor, and fairly well draining.  I thought it would be ideal.  The fact that the chucks are in there won't stop me using the space as I do now. When it gets muddy, I was thinking of using chipped bark, which I use for paths in other areas of the garden.  Blackbirds love it, so I thought hens would too.

Janschooks

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 17:44 »
Hi Flowerpot,

I'm not sure about the compost bin. I'm sure I read either on here or somewhere else that DEFRA have strict regulation about the distance of the compost bin to the chickens. Then again this maybe only if you are selling eggs or intend to eat the birds. I'm sure someone will be able to advise better. I will try and find the post again.

Jan

Janschooks

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 17:53 »
I found this link regards compost bins and chickens

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/waste/topics/kitchen.htm

Jan

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:49 »
Thanks for compost link Jan.  Didn't even occur to me that there would be regulatory reason for keeping them apart, I was just thinking of the welfare of the chucks!

I've read it four times, and still not sure what it's telling me!

It seems to be about composting food/kitchen waste?  In which case I think I'm OK because my bins are only used for green garden waste.  And certainly no intention to go into commerical production of eggs, though will give some away if any surplace.

If you read it differently, let me know!

bubs

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 15:46 »
hello flowerpot it sounds like you've got a well thought out set up there , but regarding the information about using woodchips or bark type material for the chickens to scratch around in that foxy gave you , i did exactly the same and i can tell you this when i cleaned the area out it was the worst smell i have ever encountered and it made me sick  :wub: ,that area is now bare concrete and its very easy to clean and disinfect , my chickens have also got a dirt enclosure to scratch around in .  but forget those bleeding woodchips their mortifying they look clean but all the mess is underneath getting even more rotten ! best wishes.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 09:24 »
Thanks for the tip Bubs.  Couldn't face that first thing.

Don't want to concrete down there, so will probably leave them with bare earth to scratch up, and maybe a moveable boardwalk type path to the coop for me.  The area is well drained, the bottom of my garden ends right on the edge of a rock face (fenced in!), so hopefully it won't get too slushy.

I think this forum is just great, best to learn by other's mistakes?

I've increased my chicken rehousing booking from 3 to 6, and have 52 'get ups' before I fetch them home.  Can't wait!

Thanks again.

tonethebone

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:06 »
Hello Flowerpower

I'm also expecting some ex batts in a few weeks and am busy constructing a large run to keep them in, although they will have the freedom of the rest of the garden when someone is at home.

I've got several old fence posts which will provide an 18' x 6' enclosure backed onto my original fencing. I was thinking of using weldmesh but is expensive stuff especially as I would need a far amount.
Foxes don't seem too much of a problem here, but there are a number of magpies and crows so I will be putting in a roof of netting nailed to battens.

Looks like we'll be posting some pics on here pretty soon.
And sorry to highjack your thread!

bubs

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 14:53 »
Thanks for the tip Bubs.  Couldn't face that first thing.

Don't want to concrete down there, so will probably leave them with bare earth to scratch up, and maybe a moveable boardwalk type path to the coop for me.  The area is well drained, the bottom of my garden ends right on the edge of a rock face (fenced in!), so hopefully it won't get too slushy.

I think this forum is just great, best to learn by other's mistakes?

I've increased my chicken rehousing booking from 3 to 6, and have 52 'get ups' before I fetch them home.  Can't wait!

Thanks again.

i am new to these pages myself and yes you get great advice from this forum and i really enjoy reading the post's on here . we have all made mistakes and its a pleasure to point out possible problems to others and save them money or unwanted or unhealthy problems .

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 13:17 »
Thanks for compost link Jan.  Didn't even occur to me that there would be regulatory reason for keeping them apart, I was just thinking of the welfare of the chucks!

I've read it four times, and still not sure what it's telling me!

It seems to be about composting food/kitchen waste?  In which case I think I'm OK because my bins are only used for green garden waste.  And certainly no intention to go into commerical production of eggs, though will give some away if any surplace.

If you read it differently, let me know!

Update on compost bins in chicken coop.  I'm reading that if the chicken poo etc is going on the compost heaps, then the chickens shouldn't be given access because of risk of infection.  I can't move the bins, and it's the only area I've got for the girls, so I've come to the conclusion that 'chicken waste' might have to be bagged and binned.  I have a horrible fear that if I put it direct onto the garden, the resident hairy one might tuck in ......it's just the sort of thing she'd do.  And it must attract flies?

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 39 queries.