Broody Hens

• 10 Replies

stephandscott

Broody Hens
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:23 »
Two of our silkies have just gone broody and are sitting on 2 eggs each but think they might have  started 2 days ago.

Can we put more eggs under them now or does it have to be done at the same time?
Or can we take away their eggs and put 12 fresh eggs under them??

Just for information, we have 5 hens and 5 cockerels, all just under a year old.
We have also just hatched 13 chicks using an incubator which are a week old and in the house at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:30 by stephandscott »

bantam novice

Re: Broody Hens
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 17:46 »
Hello Stephandscott and welcome to the wacky world of henaholics! 

I am not that experienced in hatching; however personally I would put twelve fresh eggs under so that they hatch at the same time.  I'm sure that someone more experienced will be along shortly to advise you.

In the meantime good luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54 »
hi stephadscott
you don't want to put 12 eggs under a silkie that is to meny 6 is about right fresh eggs is best so they all hatch at the same time

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 17:18 »
I too would suggest fresh eggs under your girls. Also remove them to their own individual quarters as the other hens and cockerels may well disturb them. Give them a day or two on some crock eggs first in their new quarters just to make sure they are truly broody and settled. I would also suggest that you reduce your cockerel population by 4 if thy are all in together as they will start to fight soon as they come into maturity. Also they will tread the remaining girls far too much. You really can have too much of a good thing!

OL

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20 »
are you sure the eggs are fertile if your boys are so young ?
if you're not sure and you definitley want chicks buy some fertile eggs from sombody else till later on in the year when you can be more certain the eggs will be fertile

stephandscott

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:53 »
are you sure the eggs are fertile if your boys are so young ?
if you're not sure and you definitley want chicks buy some fertile eggs from sombody else till later on in the year when you can be more certain the eggs will be fertile

Hi
Thanks, we did wonder that but we incubated 10 of our own eggs and all were fertile, we got 6 chicks from them which are now a week and a half old! 
Thanks again

stephandscott

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:02 »
hi stephadscott
you don't want to put 12 eggs under a silkie that is to meny 6 is about right fresh eggs is best so they all hatch at the same time

Hi thanks Dennis, yes i did mean 12 eggs between them, they are only very small birds.

stephandscott

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:14 »
I too would suggest fresh eggs under your girls. Also remove them to their own individual quarters as the other hens and cockerels may well disturb them. Give them a day or two on some crock eggs first in their new quarters just to make sure they are truly broody and settled. I would also suggest that you reduce your cockerel population by 4 if thy are all in together as they will start to fight soon as they come into maturity. Also they will tread the remaining girls far too much. You really can have too much of a good thing!

OL

Hi Thanks for your reply
We have separated the girls off already to give them some peace.
Any ideas how to reduce our cockerel population? We have advertised on pre-loved, word of mouth among friends and school and asked at local farms.  So far got rid of one out 6.
Scott in process of building separate run for them as I've read that they fight less if not in with the girls.  They are all pure bred so was thinking of keeping a couple for breeding from.
They did fight to start but have determined their pecking order and The Boss just rules the roost.  Need to separate them for the girls sake plus they are a nightmare when they are all out in the field as some of the cockerels are terrible for attacking us esp the kids.
Thanks again

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:56 »
sadly getting rid of surplus cockerels is very difficult (most of mine get culled). Fighting will still break out when a lower one decides they want to move up the pecking order so please be careful. It isn't too bad for me as mine free range and they try to keep out of each others way but every now and then a fight breaks out. If you look on swap shop section there is a chap called beegal who takes in surplus birds (even cockerels) if you can get them to him. He has access to a farm and they get kept there until he can find a home for them - however he is honest and will admit that some do have to be culled if no home is forthcoming.

here is his post:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=66942.0
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:01 »
please do not rehome any nasty cockerels and never breed from them. They should be culled as it is a trait that is very difficult if not impossible to break.

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 11:17 »
if you can cull them you will have some good chicken dinners to look forward too

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
I have several of my hens gone broody on me

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 08:56
by joyfull
xx
One Too Many Broody Hens!

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 14:09
by ANHBUC
xx
Broody Hens

Started by mocoffey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 17:10
by noshed

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 40 queries.