First veg patch/raised beds

• 6 Replies

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:18 »
Hi there, I’m currently in the process of purchasing my first house and intend to have a vegetable patch.  The garden is 21’ wide so I can have a patch about 10’ x 10’, and hopefully with a greenhouse on the side.

I was hoping to cut this patch into two raised beds about 4 inches above ground level, with a wooden frame.  My intention was to fill this with topsoil and then plan for the year ahead.  The plan is to move in about January time. Any advice would be welcome on the best preparation for the site and the best things to grow.  Obviously I’m not aware of the soil type as yet.

I have some experience of growing a few veg and salad crops in grow bags last year, but really want to expand the operation, and get the most out of the plot.  Any thoughts?

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 15:21 »
just convert the growbags into a garden plot  .and treat as a new allotment deano mate :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 16:42 »
With just a small plot like that I would go for "things I really like" and "things which are expensive to buy"

Runner beans would be a must for me.  I grew 20 lb on a wigwam in a large tub on the patio this year.

Things which grow fast and you can keep successioning too. Salad leaves picked young, radish, spring onions, welsh onions, chives. Must have some beetroot too.

Tomatoes don't take up much space.  Cucumber (burpless) in the greenhouse

Don't forget some parsley.  I can grow enough in a large pot to pick and freeze for the whole year. *note to me - get more packets of herb seeds*

I've done all this and more in patio pots.  Just wait till my new plot gets going next spring

:wink:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 12:09 »
Deano, have a look at this site, the boss is trying this next year, it gives a lot of usefull advice as well.  http://www.squarefootgardening.com/
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 15:43 »
Aw Aidy, you beat me to it, that square foot gardening site is great.  Just shows what you can do with very little!!!!

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 15:41 »
Thanks very much for all the tips.  Obviously i'm going to need to buy plenty of soil to fill the beds, what's the best to fill it with? Should I be using a combination of various?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 20:55 »
Deano
Again if you check out the square foot garding site he gives you some good mixes.

xx
raised beds on concrete???? Where to start patch

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

51 Replies
Last post March 18, 2007, 20:58
by WG.
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds or Not?

Started by Digger Mum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 10:40
by Salmo
xx
Raised beds

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 15:38
by sandygreen

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 34 queries.