Hops and orange pompoms

• 2 Replies

viettaclark

Hops and orange pompoms
« on: June 06, 2010, 17:08 »
I'm clearing a small area below the patio to make a herb garden. This involves removing ivy, hops, Golden Rod and an "orange pompom" plant. They are all invasive and my back's killing me!!
I thought ivy was bad to get rid of but hops.......the main roots are 3" diameter and go too deep to dig them out. Then there are the side roots which are tough as old boots.
The "orange pompom" is invasive too. Tall stems a bit like thin bamboo that have some thin little branches and the leaves are green, oval shape with serrated edges and pointed tip and grow from the main stalk alternately on short stems. It is one of the first flowers in the garden...Feb/March and the mature clump gives a wonderful display of masses of orange/yellow, 2 cm wide pompom like flowers. Unfortunately they die quite quickly and for the rest of the year it's a twiggy mess!
Likes sun and doesn't mind it dry. Roots spread manically with new growth popping up along the length (bit like raspberries) and is obviously perennial but deciduous.
I was up until 3 (yawn) last night Googling and didn't find it
Anyone know what it is? I've had it in my last 2 gardens....I really ought to know it's name....... ::)

Spana

Re: Hops and orange pompoms
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 17:37 »
Is it kerria japonica plentiflora. :unsure:  Its plentiflora that has pompom type flowers :)

viettaclark

Re: Hops and orange pompoms
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 18:06 »
Thank-you so much Spana!!!
You are dead right!!!
I'm leaving a small clump as a screen and because the flowers are so nice to see early in the year. More fool me....it will probably swamp the herbs!!!! ::)

xx
hops

Started by daveylamp on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2016, 08:19
by daveylamp
xx
hops changed sex...

Started by sladefungus on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 21, 2022, 15:34
by john_lincoln
xx
Hops, Ivy, Clematis etc in pots?

Started by Totty on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 20:56
by New shoot
xx
Growing hops from softwood cuttings

Started by GetOutCat on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 11:23
by weeeed

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.