Mould on compost

• 3 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Mould on compost
« on: December 10, 2013, 15:33 »
I went to put some cardboard in my compost bin (oh the benefits of internet shopping!) and noticed that there appears to be a sort of white mould covering the top  but not all over.  I started to move it around a bit with the fork and a fine dust seemed to come up from it so I stopped, not knowing what it was.  I also saw some fruit which had definitely turned mouldy.  I have never had this before but wondered if, as the weather has been quite mild for the time of year, this is what is causing it.  If so, will it just go away and am I ok to turn it over.

Does anybody have any idea of what it would be.  The only things in the compost bin are stuff from the garden, kitchen waste (fruit & veg only) and some paper/cardboard.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Mould on compost
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 15:37 »
It will be just one of 100's of types of moulds and bacteria currently favoured by the materials and conditions in your compost bin.

They're all helping with the job of recycling/composting, and it doesn't really matter whether you turn it or not, although keeping the contents mixed and aerated is good general practice of course.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

richie3846

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 20:18 »
I agree with JayG, it's totally normal. I would recommend covering your face with a mask, or a scarf or something when turning it though - mould spores are no good for your health if you breath them in  ???

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:54 »
Thanks very much for this, I have never seen it before so it threw me.  Think I will cover my face though, don't fancy breathing it in!

xx
Mould in compost?

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 08:53
by JayG
xx
leaf mould or compost

Started by willowman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 21:35
by Zippy
xx
Help! Mould on my soil/compost!!

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 16:53
by Riala
xx
Compost and Leaf Mould Bins

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 17:50
by shaun

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 39 queries.