Preformed Ponds vs Pond Liner - Ducks

• 13 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Preformed Ponds vs Pond Liner - Ducks
« on: February 07, 2011, 14:13 »
Hi all,

We're in the process of making an area for our ducks and plan to build a rectangular pond approx 4' x 2' 6" x 1'.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience of a preformed liner of dimensions along these lines?

The alternative is for us to build a pond using pond liner instead, but my concerns about that are a) the ducks may pierce the lining somehow and b) we won't be able to give them any blocks to help climb out.

Just looking for some thoughts on my dilemma :-)

Thanks!!!

Sassy

Re: Preformed Ponds vs Pond Liner - Ducks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:24 »
I know someone with ducks who would go for the preformed having tried the pond liner. The ducks kept ferreting about on the bottom and holed the liner :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 15:54 »
Thanks Sassy!  I thought that might happen, little monkeys!!

Helps rule out the liner... however I'm really struggling to find a rectangular preformed pond the right dimensions (or even close!)  Think I must be unique!...

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 16:05 »
The problem with preformed ponds (other than sourcing the size you need) is digging the hole and siting them - the lack of flexibility can be a nuisance to say the least.  Additionally the edges can go brittle in time if exposed to the elements - you need to ensure it's hidden.

Rather than a butyl liner which is one of the standard type liners (but is prone to rips and tears if not handled carefully) there is a place in York called Bradshaws who have developed a liner which is very, very strong and doesn't damage easily.  It may be worth giving them a call to see if their liner would suitable for use for ducks (I think it comes with a 25 year guarantee).  If it is suitable they also do mail order.

If you did use a liner it gives the flexibility for you to even create a sloped beach when you dig your hole for the pond, which will benefit any local wildlife (such as hedgehogs) that you may have.

If you're interested I can PM you the details as I'm not sure if I can link direclty to other commercial websites on here.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 16:35 »
Foghorn you can link directly to a site of interest as long as you dont have any direct association with them ie selling for them or own it!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

May be useful for others as well!

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 16:56 »
A link would be great thank you - on here or PM'd...

Should have mentioned we plan to have the area built up above ground - we toyed with bricks but instead will probably use timber sleepers with either the preformed or the liner sitting inside...

Not sure how that affects things.  My concern with liner is also having a few bricks in there to help the ducks climb out....

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 17:05 »
we built a pond around 4 metres square by a metre deep by digging about a half metre into ground and using spoil as a bank to give extra half metre depth. We used heaviest duty fish pond liner we could and built a ramp with paving slabs laid loose on a second layer of the liner to give access. The liner is trapped under old paving slabs once it has gone up over and down the bank which is sloped at about 45 degrees. The ducks sunbathe on the bank moving around as the sun does or to avoid any breeze.
They never use the ramp as they always go up the sides. We tried pumps to give circulation but it was always sludged up and now we have a compressor on the bank bubbling air through the water. We clean it out every 2 months or so which is not a favourite job. Luckily we have power nearby for a submersible pump to get most of water out. They love the pond and dive and swim most of the day but were very put out when it froze for weeks on end.
Best of luck.
R

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 19:30 »
I've (hopefully  ::) ) attached a link straight to the pond liners I think might work for you.  I also forgot to mention, they are way, way cheaper than any other liner you can find.  This is no reflection on the quality as my dad bought a liner years and years ago and he's since dug up his original pond and reused the liner in a new water feature he's built.

I promise I'm not working for this company, I just think it's a brilliant product.

We built a raised pond using brick walls and I just lined the bottom with old underlay as it was directly onto a block paved patio but other than that, the liner just rested against the brick walls.  Obviously with ducks you'll probably want to line all the pond.

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/BradshawsSite/category/LINERS_LIN-POLY.htm

I hope this is of some help  :)  :)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:16 »
Thanks for the link!!

Also Richard, may I ask where your waste water goes?  We've not got a drain on our property so are deciding whether we'd get away with slowly getting rid down the sink or see if we can lift a manhole cover...... neither are ideal but hence my reluctance to have to change the water too often!..

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 12:43 »
I've used Bradshaws before, but to get pond netting to put over my coop (one of my birds tryed escaping over the 2m walls  :ohmy: ). It arrived pretty quick and was a good price, again not endorsing or working for said company  ;)

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 10:52 »
Question about waste water - we just spread it around as the area outside the duck run is grass in orchard or is veg plots or on other side is a tall beech hedge. It gets a bit muddy in places in the run and so ducks get a bit muddy in all their places as well but they love it. I think it does the garden good as well. Any sludge from bottom goes onto compost heap or gets thrown in hedge bottom.
R

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 17:27 »
Great thanks - at the moment we empty the small pools out over the garden but we're doing work on it for various things, and so there are piles of mud everywhere as it is.  The problem lately has been the smell, but I think as our water isn't filtered at the moment it's a lot more mucky...

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 17:34 »
Find a manhole cover!! Just ensure you filter the water first or the neighbours will go off you if the drains stink and bung up.

We have a caravan & if we come home having used the loo on the journey, OH usually lifts a manhole to tip it down, rather than bringing it in to pour down the home loo.
ManicMum

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 20:47 »
We were thinking about that... there is a cover in the garden which I shall investigate - what a lovely job...!!  :blink:

xx
pond liner & ducks?

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 18:05
by janeheritage
xx
ducks won't go on pond?

Started by snowdonia lass on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 18:14
by ANHBUC
xx
Do ducks need a pond

Started by sion01 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 22, 2010, 15:45
by CluckyChicken
xx
Duck pond ducks...

Started by Growster... on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 07:51
by joyfull

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 33 queries.