Cutting back/ tying raspberry canes

• 2 Replies

Kate_S

Cutting back/ tying raspberry canes
« on: August 05, 2015, 10:04 »
Having obtained the allotment last Autumn, I was not sure whether the raspberries were summer or autumn. I can see that they are summer, so now I want to cut them back. I know that I must cut the older canes down to the ground, But I see on here about tying back the younger canes. The canes are very tall and some are spindly.  They seem to keep growing!so I am not sure what to do! How do i tie them back? Sorry I am new to this and my books don't explain clearly! Is there is a website, you tube video i can watch? :unsure:

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Re: Cutting back/ tying raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:07 »
Hiya - RHS is a stonking website and here is their vid on dealing with your question.  :D
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/raspberries?type=f
Carpe Diem

Goosegirl

Re: Cutting back/ tying raspberry canes
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 13:12 »
I grow summer ones and tie them into their supports with a coloured twine because I don't always get round to cutting them down in autumn so when spring arrives I know which ones were last year's. When I'm cutting out last year's fruiting canes I also cut out the most spindly new ones, and the taller ones are reduced in height to make them more manageable. Any new growth from the current year is tied in with a different coloured twine so I know what's what. My 4 foot wide rasp bed has 6 foot wooden supports at each corner plus others at intervals along its length. I use Wilko's cheap washing line tied at 2 foot intervals from bottom to top around the frame so I can tie in the canes as they grow to keep them straight. Any rasp suckers growing outside the area are easily pulled out. This year I've quite a lot of new growth in the centre so will need to add some supporting plastic wire or twine across the width to stop them flopping over the other canes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
When should I be cutting back my Raspberry canes?

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 12:04
by sunshineband
xx
Raspberry Cutting

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 17:59
by DD.
xx
Cutting/moving raspberry suckers

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 07:30
by fatcat1955
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by Sean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2006, 12:54
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.