Hello, I'm New!

• 2 Replies

LiamB

Hello, I'm New!
« on: July 01, 2016, 13:50 »
Hi Guys,

signed up the other day and thought i would introduce my self.

This is my first allotment, took ownership of it in April.

It was looking quite over grown but one of the other guys suggested i pay his farmer friend to plough it, so i did this to get my self a head start!

I've managed to deal with about half of it so far, and i was lucky as the plot had a left over greenhouse (apparently around 50 years old) and a really old shed, but it will do until i can afford to replace.

I've got a bad case of mares tail though and it is really driving me mad/demotivating me. Currently just over a third of my allotment is covered in it as i haven't done anything with this land, and it pops up everywhere between my plants...If anything is going to stop me next year it will be this. I did read though that it doesn't like neutral well fertilized soil so come autumn i will really prep the land for next year.

I'm based in the Nottinghamshire area...Annesley to be precise.

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Hello, I'm New!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 13:54 »
Hello and welcome Liam. I hope you will experience the many ups of growing your own rather than letting the downsides upset you.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello, I'm New!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:09 »
Welcome to the site  :D

It's best to realise early on that you'll never beat the mares tail, but it is possible to garden alongside it.  The saying "Never let it see a Sunday" is particularly true, so if you keep pulling it out it will be manageable.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 38 queries.